Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2005, 10:02 AM

Default What the hell happened?

Did I donk this up, just wondering what I could have done differently.

Seat 1: LP ($47.75 in chips)
Seat 2: LP2 ($16.25 in chips)
Seat 3: CO ($12.50 in chips)
Seat 4: BUTTON($6.05 in chips)
Seat 5: VILLIAN ($16.05 in chips)
Seat 6: HERO ($32.55 in chips)
Seat 7: UTG ($49.20 in chips)
Seat 8: UTG +1 ($18 in chips)
Seat 9: MP ($4.35 in chips)
Seat 10: MP2 ($2 in chips)

Dealt Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

ANTES/BLINDS
VILLIAN posts blind ($0.15), HERO posts blind ($0.25).

PRE-FLOP
6 folds, CO calls $0.25, BUTTON folds, VILLIAN calls $0.10, HERO bets $1, CO calls $1, VILLIAN calls $1.

FLOP [board cards QS,8H,3D ]
VILLIAN checks, HERO bets $1, CO folds, VILLIAN calls $1.

TURN [board cards QS,8H,3D,3H ]
VILLIAN checks, HERO bets $5, VILLIAN bets $13.80 and is all-in, HERO calls $8.80.

RIVER [board cards QS,8H,3D,3H,9H ]

SHOWDOWN
<font color="white"> VILLIAN shows [ JC,3C ]
HERO shows [ QD,AS ]
VILLIAN wins $31.70.
</font>
Old 06-28-2005, 10:19 AM

Default Re: What the hell happened?

posting your hand will probably increase your level of responses...i had to look in the results section to see your hand.

Your flop bet was way too small. You should have bet the entire pot. You let him suck out cheap, then you called his all in after he'd sucked out....yeah you donked it up pretty harshly.
Old 06-28-2005, 10:26 AM

You didn't give the villain enough of a reason to fold his garbage. While the 1/3 pot bet should be enough, lots of people hang seem to hang around on bottom pair in lower-limit games.

With TPTK, I'd make at least a pot-sized bet, if not 2x, and would be happy with the smaller pot. But that's just me.
Old 06-28-2005, 10:48 AM

You really overbet the pot on the flop with TPTK? Do you do this with stronger hands?

In this case, I think anything from half-size to pot-size is sufficient on this flop.
Old 06-28-2005, 07:43 PM

Why be happy with that small pot? TPTK and no straight or flush draws. I want that guy calling $1 with 5 outs all day. He almost never hits on the turn, and probably folds right there. Otherwise, you bet $3 and he folds. You have to maximize your profit in hands where you are so far ahead. Every once in a while somebody will suck out trips or two pair, but the profit from all the hands that called the smaller bet on the flop with a worse hand will be much larger, I think.
Old 06-28-2005, 08:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I want that guy calling $1 with 5 outs all day. He almost never hits on the turn, and probably folds right there.

[/ QUOTE ]

If he has 5 outs, then he has at least a 1 in 10 chance of improving on the turn. If you are going to call off $14 when he hits and gains only $1 when he doesn't, it seems like it isn't such a great line. If the flop bet was $1.50 or $2, this line of reasoning would be more accurate.

The flop bet has to be enough so that he doesn't have the odds to suck out on you.
Old 06-28-2005, 09:02 PM

And...to put it another way...do you think the OP would be so upset if he had bet bigger and taken down the pot, however small it might be?

It's been my experience that winning several small pots like this tend to set up the big ones, anyhow, because people convince themselves that you can't actually have the hand this time, too.

But, that's me.
Old 06-28-2005, 09:23 PM

Besides what everyone else said, you should be paying attension to hands you're not involved in, does seat 2 bluff too much?, does seat 6 always call a raise when on a blind?, does seat 8 play anything as long as it's suited? I'd have to bet that villian pretty much calls any small-medium raise with any cards when on either blind, and had probably already done it multiple times while you were playing with him/her.

Noticing little things like that make folding tptk when that second three hits the turn an easy decision.
Old 06-28-2005, 10:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]

It's been my experience that winning several small pots like this tend to set up the big ones, anyhow, because people convince themselves that you can't actually have the hand this time, too.

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't thought of it that way. I will try to look for that. I think it will be very tough to profit in poker if you're only collecting the blinds when you get a monster hand because you're afraid of 5 outs.
Old 06-28-2005, 10:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]

FLOP [board cards QS,8H,3D ]
VILLIAN checks, HERO bets $1

[/ QUOTE ]

Bet the pot.

-dB