Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-2005, 10:11 AM

Default playing in a very tight game, Stud8

Whenever I play stud8, I usually play low limit fish farms. However, ive done some playing in real tight games lately (20% 4th street viewing) and I have some questions

lets say a small card brings it in, and everybody folds to you in last position. you have (A2)A. do you raise or call, knowing that you probably have a lead both ways and certainly have a very strong lead on eway and that if you raise your opponent probably folds?

what about if a J brings it in and its folded to you in last position and you have (KK)4? do you raise him or call, knowing that your hand has a substantial lead and a raise will often get a fold?

Final question, not about playing in tight games:
lets say you have a dynamite hand by 5th street. you hold an (A2)34A, and you start capping the heck out of the pot in a mutliway high action pot. by the river, you dont hit a straight, low, or trips. however, you do make aces-up. you have 2 opponents, nobody has a scary flush board but you see some possible straights (but very broken on the board). theres a bet and a raise from what looks like the strongest low. is there any way you can justify calling w/ just aces up since the pot was made gigantic?
Old 07-15-2005, 10:27 AM

Default Re: playing in a very tight game, Stud8

How often does a Jack bring it in in a full game? In both of those third-street scenarios, I raise and am happy enough picking up the antes. If you limp from last position with an Ace in the door, it should look very suspicious. I raise light in that spot a lot--might as well raise when I actually have a hand.

You don't really give us enough information, but in your last scenario, the pot is usually big enough that you just have to pay it off.