Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-26-2005, 03:06 PM

Default Bad fold?

If so, let me have it, because I was fairly confused on the river. I think I should have raised the turn as well, but couldn't think of what it would accomplish other than getting money in the pot when I'm probably behind with only one card to come.

First orbit, no reads other than MP is passive preflop, but he will definitely donk in order to bet-3bet pf raisers.

Abso 2/4 6handed

Hero has A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] in CO

UTG limps, MP limps, <font color="red">Hero raises</font>, folds, BB calls, UTG calls, MP calls.

Flop: Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="red">MP bets</font>, Hero calls, BB folds, UTG calls.

Turn: 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
<font color="red">UTG bets</font>, MP calls, Hero calls

River: J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
<font color="red">UTG bets</font>, MP calls, Hero folds.
Old 06-26-2005, 03:07 PM

Default Re: Bad fold?

The river fold is fine. I'm raising the flop, though.
Old 06-26-2005, 03:08 PM

You should have taken control of the hand at the flop and bet it down to the river.
Old 06-26-2005, 03:42 PM

I don't know about raising the flop - we've got a monster draw, but we're unlikely to fold a better hand - we might have a shot at folding out a small PP behind us, but the bettor and anyone with a T isn't folding. I like hero's line.

Surf
Old 06-26-2005, 03:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know about raising the flop - we've got a monster draw, but we're unlikely to fold a better hand - we might have a shot at folding out a small PP behind us, but the bettor and anyone with a T isn't folding. I like hero's line.

Surf

[/ QUOTE ]

Given the flop, we are favored against almost any hand, except a set. Raising here is not only for value but it lets the table know that this is your hand.

Plus you want UTG to fold here, because he may be calling with something like JTs or KJo/s. Either way, this kills three of our 18 "outs" that could conceivably win the hand. Also, it's somewhat likely that he'll fold to 2 cold with an open ended straight draw or a middle pair with the 2 flush on the board.
Old 06-26-2005, 04:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Surf

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't think there's a reasonable possibility of MP leading with a draw on this board? I think A-high is the best hand a fair portion of the time here and when it's not, we've usually got 15ish outs to fall back on, which makes us the favorite HU. We can decide whether we're drawing or not on the turn, based on who calls and the remainder of the flop action.

Rob
Old 06-26-2005, 04:07 PM

Good points.

I had neglected to consider the time when A-high is currently best...in that case raising is almost certainly correct. Hmm...

okay, put me in the raise camp. I still think we aren't folding out better hands, and raising just to show people that this is "our hand" is pretty pointless...but we've can protect some of our outs, and if we can fold a hand like A3 then all the better.

Surf