Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-26-2005, 03:44 PM

Default Train Into Philly

There is a big chess tournament next weekend, the World Open. http://www.worldopen.com/

Next weekend is also Live 8, the huge concert that will be played to raise awareness for World Hunger.

1 Million people are expected, so the city will be shut down, no cars will be let in.

The tournament is very close to suburban station, and after using www.amtrack.com I cannot see how to get there, I only see 30th street. Anyone from Philly able to help me out how to get there. I am trying to get to 17th and Race
Old 06-26-2005, 03:51 PM

Default Re: Train Into Philly

I'm not from Philly, but I have been to 30th St. station a lot. I think there is a SEPTA train that goes from 30th St. Station to Suburban Station. Probably would be easier to take a cab, but I guess that won't necessarily be possible.
Old 06-26-2005, 03:59 PM

Yep, get a SEPTA Schedule - Amtrak only goes to 30th Street Station.
Old 06-26-2005, 03:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There is a big chess tournament next weekend, the World Open. http://www.worldopen.com/

Next weekend is also Live 8, the huge concert that will be played to raise awareness for World Hunger.

1 Million people are expected, so the city will be shut down, no cars will be let in.

The tournament is very close to suburban station, and after using www.amtrack.com I cannot see how to get there, I only see 30th street. Anyone from Philly able to help me out how to get there. I am trying to get to 17th and Race

[/ QUOTE ]

This is news to me. I am driving down Thursday afternoon, will there be any problem? I am playing in the 5 day schedule.
Old 06-26-2005, 04:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What? They're closing down the whole city? A million people for some concert? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 06-26-2005, 04:19 PM

http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/n...t/11868404.htm

[ QUOTE ]

Officials have tentatively staked out a no-car zone for the concert, bounded by Market Street, Fairmount Avenue, 15th Street and 23d Street, according to a memo sent Thursday by Capt. Dennis Cullen, commander of the Ninth Police District.

Although residents with identification will be permitted to enter the no-car zone, and deliveries to businesses and homes will be allowed, Cullen said, other drivers looking to travel through the area on July 2 will be taking the long way around.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's not the whole city, but it is a fairly large area. Of course, the hotel where the tournament is being held is right in the middle of this section. But since my car will be parked from Thursday to Monday I shouldn't have a problem.
Old 06-26-2005, 04:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Officials have tentatively staked out a no-car zone for the concert, bounded by Market Street, Fairmount Avenue, 15th Street and 23d Street, according to a memo sent Thursday by Capt. Dennis Cullen, commander of the Ninth Police District.

Although residents with identification will be permitted to enter the no-car zone, and deliveries to businesses and homes will be allowed, Cullen said, other drivers looking to travel through the area on July 2 will be taking the long way around.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's not the whole city, but it is a fairly large area. Of course, the hotel where the tournament is being held is right in the middle of this section. But since my car will be parked from Thursday to Monday I shouldn't have a problem.

[/ QUOTE ]

When New Orleans sets up its no-car zone for carnival, taxis are allowed to travel in and out. Perhaps Philly will allow taxis along with residents and delivery trucks. Otherwise take the Market Street subway directly from 30th street.
Old 06-26-2005, 05:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm playing 3day, so it will get complicated.
Thanks for the advice I will look up the Septa schedule.
Old 06-26-2005, 04:06 PM

Get off Amtrak at 30th Street station. Take a 10 minute Septa ride from there to Suburban Station (couple bucks).

Jeff