Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-01-2005, 04:19 PM

Default Weak pre-flop play, made up post-flop?

Usual 20-40,

Sorry if this seems boring, but it's kinda bugging me:

I'm in MP with QQ (suits don't matter).

UTG (decent but stuck tonight) limps, I raise, MP (bad tricky player) puts in 20, and the dealer informs him that it's been raised and now he decides to shove in 60, Cutoff (very loose passive) calls, SB (new player, no read) calls 60, BB folds, UTG calls, I call.

Flop comes 3-3-7. UTG checks, I check, MP bets, Cutoff calls, limper calls, I check-raise.

Anyways, I thought about capping it pre-flop, then thought that there were enough people hanging around so I'd wait to see the flop first and if favored me enough I would pump it there.

I put MP's hand on a pocket pair too since he just called and then decided to go 3-bet, maybe something around the 55-TT range. If he had AK, AQ, he would not re-raise. So I thought c/ring this flop was a good way to extract that extra SB I missed pre-flop.

Comments welcome.

Thanks

Lawrence
Old 07-01-2005, 04:21 PM

Default Re: Weak pre-flop play, made up post-flop?

I don't get it, why didn't you cap preflop?
Old 07-01-2005, 05:24 PM

hi lawrence

that's fine. just keep betting it. need to watch the MP if he pops you back on the turn.
Old 07-01-2005, 07:08 PM

Because you just called the 3-bet preflop, I understand why you went for a checkraise on the flop.

However, since it's questionable just how good the "I can't limp? Ok, 3 bets!" hand really is, I'm not sure I would rely on him to bet the flop. I think giving a free turn card in a pot this big would be a huge mistake, so I'm leading this flop.

I'd actually hope that the preflop 3-bettor raises me holding JJ or lower, so that we could knock out hands like Ax or Kx.
Old 07-01-2005, 07:21 PM

i would cap pre-flop. But since you did not I would lead into the pre flop 3 bettor hopeing he will raise (in this big pot any 3 betting hand will raise for sure) I would like your play more with AA or KK since less overs can beat you. big pots you should try and eliminate players not tie them till the river with a hand that is not a monster in a pot this big.
Old 07-02-2005, 12:14 AM

Default Results

Aye, I was pretty sure that MP would bet, but in retrospect I think if I bet it would have been better as the chance of giving a free card is too good.

Here's how the rest of the hand played out.

After I check-raised, everyone else just called.

Turn brings a 9.

SB checks, UTG checks, I bet, MP calls, cutoff calls, SB calls, UTG folds.

River brings a 5.

SB checks, I bet, MP calls, SB calls.

SB shows 3-6 offsuit and wins.

Lawrence
Old 07-02-2005, 12:54 AM

Default Re: Results

OMG, SB calls pre-flop with 3-6o. How can these guys play like this?
Do they just have unlimited bankrolls?
Old 07-02-2005, 02:33 AM

is this the 20-40 river rock game your talking about?

that 20-40 game is like a partypoker 1-2 online.

I would lean more towards calling the 3bets preflop, since your QQ will only win in this kind of spot half the time. Especially since half of the players in this game could literally be on any two cards.

See a safe flop first before putting your bets in, instead of making the pot even bigger.

When the flop comes 337, nasty flop for the 20-40 game there. I would definently put my bets in on the flop to find out where I am at. Since there is a good chance one of these guys has a A3, 34, 35, K3s. etc..

Checking and risking giving LAGS a free card is very dangerous.

My line in that game would be to bet the flop, if I get raised here I'm going to showdown as long as an ace or K or another 7 doesn't fall.

Maybe try donking the turn after getting raised on the flop isn't a bad line either.

but if that bad tricky players raises you on the turn, there is really no way you can lay it down.
Old 07-02-2005, 02:40 AM

Cap preflop always, at worst it'll get lone aces and kings to fold these kinds of flops from fear of drawing dead.

By not capping you make it even worse for yourself especially by checkraising. I'd prefer to bet out and have MP raise to clear out the field.
Old 07-02-2005, 05:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would lean more towards calling the 3bets preflop, since your QQ will only win in this kind of spot half the time. Especially since half of the players in this game could literally be on any two cards.

See a safe flop first before putting your bets in, instead of making the pot even bigger.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, I *really* have to disagree with this. If his hand is good *half* the time against multiple opponents, of course he should cap it! That's a huge preflop edge. I don't think you could say he'd be winning half the time against a standard 3-bettor and others, but with these guys, it sounds possible.