Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-24-2005, 12:46 PM

Default Adjusting play as stack size grows

I usually buy in for about 1/2 to 2/3rds of the max buy-in ($.50/$1 and $1/$2 NLHE), and work my way until I double my money (and sometimes more) before calling it quits.

Once I have a large stack, it begins to feel like a liability. (By "large" I mean either in relation to the other stacks -- which typically amounts to 100BB or more.)

Can people comment or give advice on how they adjust their play in situations where they have a large stack? What factors do you take into account as the big stack? It seems like reverse implied odds and paying too much to protect hands, becomes a bigger issue. Any advice, comments, are appreciated.

If anyone is aware of past threads on this topic, pointers would also be welcome (I couldn't find much, but perhaps I wasn't searching the right terms).
Old 06-24-2005, 12:49 PM

Default Re: Adjusting play as stack size grows

think more about pot control rather than charging the draw, don't get committed with single pair hands, play more implied odds hands in position in raised pots assuming OTHER player is also big stack. Don't go with the mentality that just because they are shorter stack relative to yours that you can call a push with a more marginal hand. Be very aggressive with your postflop monsters as it looks like big stack bullying.
Old 06-24-2005, 12:55 PM

stop being a chump and buy in for the full amount or go down levels. i hate people like you that double up and leave.
Old 06-24-2005, 01:02 PM

don't knock it, it works.

poker is about exploitation and they are able to successfully exploit the pitfalls of NLHE and not allow others to exploit their flaws at deep stack play.
Old 06-24-2005, 01:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
don't knock it, it works.

poker is about exploitation and they are able to successfully exploit the pitfalls of NLHE and not allow others to exploit their flaws at deep stack play.

[/ QUOTE ]

these cheap skates are not playing poker.
Old 06-24-2005, 01:09 PM

what if the buy in was uncapped and somebody bought in for 500xBB? would you also buy in for that much? or would you buy in for 100xBB and change your strategy?
Old 06-24-2005, 01:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
stop being a chump and buy in for the full amount or go down levels. i hate people like you that double up and leave.

[/ QUOTE ]
Playing with a short stack is a strategy. You don't give implied odds to your opponents and your less prone to fancy plays since a lot of times you are correct to call just because of your short stack.

It's still poker, though. Here are some articles on playing against a short stack:
Playing Short Stacks in Shorthanded NL Holdem
Things to Keep in Mind Facing Short Stacks in No Limit Holdem
Old 06-24-2005, 01:14 PM

The deeper you get, the stronger a hand you need to commit yourself. For instance many are willing to go broke to set over set with 100BB (that is, always play bottom set as if its the nut hand unless there's a straight or flush out there), but with 500BB then it gets very dangergous to play bottom set as if its the nuts. Of course you need a great reason to think your hand is not best, but this is still a good example.

Anyway, mainly you need to have stronger post flop commitment standards especially when it comes to TPTK and two-pair hands (depending how deep you are).

If you are playing from the range 60BB-120BB this stuff is probably not all that important except that you may have a good reason for committing yourself to TPTK at 60BB but not at 120BB.
Old 06-24-2005, 01:17 PM

article: Stack Size in Ring Games
Old 06-24-2005, 02:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL - buying in for the full amount is exactly what *I am* planning to do. I would indeed be a chump if I bought in for the max without having given at least some thought to the differences between big stack and short stack play.

BTW don't get me wrong. I don't double up and immediately run. Even if I win a big pot, I continue to play at least a few more orbits. Occasionally I've made an even bigger score doing this, and occasionally, I've given back some of my winnings.

However, I have noticed that playing deeper seems to require making adjustments (i.e., the same style I employed buying in for about 50-60BB doesn't seem to work as well when I am sitting on 100+BB).