Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What percent of micro 2+2ers are worse poker players than they think they are?
0-20% 3 2.80%
20-40% 23 21.50%
40-60% 34 31.78%
60-80% 34 31.78%
80-100% 13 12.15%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-04-2005, 11:19 AM

Default Is it illegal to ...

Just got a rebate in on a laptop that I bought and returned. The first one I got was deffective and the Office Depot manager told me to send in the rebates while I waited for a replacement. I waited for weeks for a replacement and got another laptop of the same model that was deffective. I went on Toshiba's website and found out that many of the same model had this problem. I returned the second laptop and got my money back.

Low and behold, the rebate, which I thought would be automatically cancelled when I returned the second computer, has showed up. $150 in a check.

So my question is, should I cash it? Is it legal to cash it?

Greg
Old 05-04-2005, 12:36 PM

Default Re: Is it illegal to ...

I think it's called "larceny by conversion"

GG
Old 05-04-2005, 12:49 PM

It's a scam. In your shoes, I would have to destroy the check, because I would feel like I was cheating.

If I were destitute I would probably try to shoot this angle, though.
Old 05-04-2005, 01:12 PM

I chose #1. Obviously, you are not owed a rebate if you didn't end up buying the computer. That the machines were defective is a seperate issue. Now when the hell do I get my rebate check from Fry's for this stupid canon printer? It's been months and it's still "in process" on the website. Sheesh, they bring this sort of malice on themselves.
Old 05-04-2005, 01:20 PM

Cash the check but dont spend it. Later if they ask for it back use the money to build a bomb and blow up one of their factories.
Old 05-04-2005, 01:47 PM

Check your receipt. There should be language on the back that explicitly says that if you return your purchase, the rebate will be null and void. They will put a hold on the check that you have such that you will not be able to cash it.

I don't know how exactly they would handle the situation if you have already cashed the check, but with the legal mumbo jumbo they have, they can sue you for the money.
Old 05-04-2005, 01:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Check your receipt. There should be language on the back that explicitly says that if you return your purchase, the rebate will be null and void. They will put a hold on the check that you have such that you will not be able to cash it.

I don't know how exactly they would handle the situation if you have already cashed the check, but with the legal mumbo jumbo they have, they can sue you for the money.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I wish I still had the receipt but I tossed it after the computer was refunded to my credit card. I figured that if they did sue me for $150 (which I doubt because the legal cost would be higher than $150) that I could just give it back.

What I hadn't thought of is that they might have a hold on the check and that it would bounce if I tried to cash it. If so I think I would not only be out $150 but also another $29 to the bank for it bouncing.

Greg
Old 05-04-2005, 02:01 PM

Also, I am suprised that they would send it after so much time if they were aware that the computer was returned. I think that they just dont have any idea that they screwed up. I doubt that they ever would. Not that that justifies doing it.

Greg
Old 05-05-2005, 09:29 AM

IANAL but I don't believe this is illegle, nor do I find it immoral. Personally, I am more surprized you got the rebate since, unless things have changed in recent years, those things are very sketchy. If you are really having qualms about this, shoot off a letter to someone at Toshiba and ask them. Send it to someone high up and make sure to include the details about having to return two laptops due their being defective. (Oddly, if you do write a letter, the ensuing cost of dealing with it for Toshiba will probably be more than the $150 rebate.)

At any rate, if it is illegle, it is probably only slightly illegal. If you bought the thing with the intention of getting the rebate and returning it, that would be different.
Old 05-05-2005, 09:16 PM

If they didn't want you to have it they wouldn't have sent it to you.

timmer