Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-24-2005, 10:54 AM

Default UB: QQ on button early in tourney

I think this is a leak i have to plug in my game. I am by no way a pro and have only finished in the money of MTT twice, i do ok at single tables. This is a UB MTT $5+.5 1000 gurantee tourney.

Levels are 20/40.

I am on the button with QQ 3 people limp in front of me i bump it up 5xBB. The two buttons fold and the 3 who limped call. Villian is seat number 2.

I dont remember all te stack sizes.. I had around 1500 chips the villian in this had around 1600 before the hand started.

The flop comes TJ4 rainbow. The villian decides to push all in in front of me, the others fold to me. I look at that board and think jackpot I have top pair (proably wrong thinking). And jump right in for all my chips (2nd round).

My question is should i just let it go. Villian was new to the table and i had no reads. This has happened to me quite a bit with large pairs early in tournaments where i have lost to a smaller set after making a huge bet before the flop and after the flop.

This is not a bad beat story, before everyone gets on my case about that, its just a question as to if this is a leak or not. Should the QQ have been folded and me left to fight another day since it cost me my whole stack to call and I could have been beat by TT, JJ, KK, AA, TJ, 44?
Old 06-24-2005, 10:56 AM

Default Re: UB: QQ on button early in tourney

i would call pretty quickly.
Old 06-24-2005, 10:59 AM

I call this 100% of the time, AA or KK raises preflop or plays with you after your raise. JJ or TT probably also raise preflop at these levels.

If he has a set he is a moron but a straight draw or AJ is way more likely.
Old 06-24-2005, 11:28 AM

Ok I am not a complete poker moron. Had to check.. I think my game is fairly solid, i am sure there are a few leaks, but needed a double check. Sucks to get knocked out early, story of my life lately.
Old 06-24-2005, 11:52 AM

The biggest challenge of playing on UB (at the lower levels) is dealing with calling stations. I don't know why, but when I played there, I had one hell of a time convincing people to fold. It was great when I hit a hand, not so great when I whiffed with AK. Anyway, if you want to thin the field at UB, you're going to have to put more of your stack in - three callers does not surprise me. Make it t300, and then you're in business. Yes it's an overbet, but you simply MUST reduce the field.

I'm calling with this every time, and am not at all surprised when some villain/clown turns over JTo.

Sam
Old 06-24-2005, 12:18 PM

Just remember that although a call is correct here, sometimes he will have JT or bottom set. But more often he'll have a KQ draw or AJ or something. Keep in mind that you can't win every hand every time, and all you can do is put him on a range and act accordingly.

Kings