Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2005, 09:31 PM

Default 2/4: When you know you\'ll be quartered...

SB was a total donkey (loose, playing middling cards, etc). Comments on all streets appreciated. It's pretty clear I'm geting a quarter of this pot. Do you stay because of the multi-way action? I posted a blind utg+2. Do you raise at some point? I just thought I'd call call along and take my quarter for 1BB of profit. Dumb?

Party Poker (10 handed) converter

converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG+2 with 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Hero posts a blind of $2.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero (poster) checks, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, BB calls, Hero calls, MP2 calls, Button calls.

Flop: (10 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls, MP2 calls, Button calls, SB calls.

Turn: (7.50 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, Hero calls, MP2 calls, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, BB calls, Hero calls, MP2 calls, Button calls.

River: (22.50 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB calls, Hero calls, MP2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, SB calls, BB calls, Hero calls, MP2 folds.

Final Pot: 31.50 BB
Old 06-16-2005, 09:35 PM

Default Re: 2/4: When you know you\'ll be quartered...

I'd do the same.. the last thing you want to do is discourage people from staying. You have no high to speak of.

This is just a marginal situation. You don't get counterfeited often enough to make this a fold though.
Old 06-16-2005, 10:52 PM

with 5 players, even if you get quartered you still stand to make a small profit. No need to fold, just call it down.
Old 06-16-2005, 11:37 PM

Thanks for the feedback guys. I've been re-reading Zee's book and he talks about folding the nut low under certain circumstances when the pot is jammed. Trying to find a spot to do it [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Maybe those very specific situations just don't come up in loose low-limit games.
Old 06-17-2005, 05:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe those very specific situations just don't come up in loose low-limit games.

[/ QUOTE ]

pretty much. A time to fold the nut low is if the pot is really small and you're being forced to call a double bet. For instance, say you only have 4 people in the hand, no raise preflop, and no bet on the flop. The turn completes your low with no counterfiet protection and you have no hi hand or draw to the hi. It gets bet and raised. Do you really want to call 2BB for a pot with 5 BB in it? Even more convincing is say there's no obvious hi hand (flush/straight) now you're nearly positive your quartered.

Doesn't happen often, but it does happen. In the hand you described, there's just too much money in the pot to reasonably fold.
Old 06-17-2005, 10:19 PM

Thanks, Djr.

Anyone raise the river for an extra .25 bb?
Old 06-19-2005, 05:15 PM

I'd be worried about getting sixthed [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 06-19-2005, 08:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone raise the river for an extra .25 bb?

[/ QUOTE ]

Almost everytime. I dont see a problem with capping the turn either. NH