Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-19-2005, 08:02 AM

Default QQ River bet, yay or nay

While my main concern is the river bet, comments on all streets are welcome. Please feel free to rag on me for failing to reraise preflop. Thanks in advance.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ Hero (6 max, 5 handed) converter

Hero ($267.3)
UTG ($195.65)
MP ($132.5)
Button :#A500AF(Villain)/ ($100.35)
SB ($410.95)

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $1.
UTG calls $2, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button :#A500AF(Villain)/ raises to $5</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls $3, UTG calls $3.

Flop: ($16) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Villain bets $8</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $18</font>, UTG folds, Villain calls $10.

Turn: ($52) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $30</font>, Villain calls $30.

River: ($112) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $50</font>, Villain
calls all-in [$47.35]

Final Pot: $112
Old 06-19-2005, 08:12 AM

Default Re: QQ River bet, yay or nay

I almost never check raise, which I'm sure is a bad thing. I would have bet out on this flop, to get information from villain.
Since he calls you CR, I think you need to be very careful from then on. Bad river card, but since he has only 47 bucks you're pretty committed to going all the way. I probably check-call to add catching a bluff to my EV

Can someone enlighten me on whether this is a good spot to check raise in and why?
Old 06-19-2005, 08:17 AM

Reraise preflop and lead the flop.

Given that you didnt, you should raise a LOT more on the flop, to 18 is a complete joke, giving him better than 4-1 on the call, you want the hand to end but all you've done is juice up the pot a bit. Make it 32 or so then if he calls check-fold the turn and maybe call a small bet on a blank river (check fold this one).

You must raise your big pairs bigtime sooner not later out of position, the longer the hand continues the more disadvantage you have.
Old 06-19-2005, 08:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Can someone enlighten me on whether this is a good spot to check raise in and why?

[/ QUOTE ]

Its about the worst possible board to check raise on, there are more draws here than in a nursery school art lesson.
Old 06-19-2005, 08:24 AM

So is the purpose of a checkraise to end the hand right there?

At the moment, i feel if you have a great hand then you don't want to reveal strength by CRing. If you have a marginal hand, better to lead out than bloat the pot with a CR.

I can't see any wituations where CRing is good in itself, but I guess it stops people stealing when you check..