Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-20-2005, 10:32 AM

Default Noobie Question -- When Do You Make Your Move

As stated, I'm a relative newbie to MTTs. Cutting my teeth on cash pay out free-rolls through big bucks, etc. You all remember when you did this, right??

I'm finishing ITM about 1/3 of the time, but normally in the 15-30 place range, and am looking to bring it up to the next level.

Last night, in a $30 free roll. About 710 or so started, 55 left, 40 pay.

Hero has about 105,000 chips (average for tournament, second stack at my table). Blinds are 800-1600, ante 200. So, no real pressure yet.

From this point, I can blind into the money, possibly even sneak into the final table, but realistically, need to make a move to be a threat.

For the last 5 hands, the Big Stack, two seats to my left, (300,000 ish) has pushed all in pre-flop. Looks like he's decided it's close enough to the bubble to start padding his stack, but since it's a free-roll, it's possible that he's just tanking. I've only been at this table for about 20 mins, so don't have a real good read on him yet.

Hero is dealt KQs in the big blind. Big Stack pushes all in again. Folded to hero.

Ok, here's the question -- is this my shot to call him and make my move? Either way, what's the minimum you'd have to call him here?
Old 06-20-2005, 10:41 AM

Default Re: Noobie Question -- When Do You Make Your Move

You have > 50XBB.

There is no need to risk your tournament. I think I'd call QQ here, and may even fold AKo.
Old 06-20-2005, 11:17 AM

Default Re: Noobie Question -- When Do You Make Your Move

Hes probably doing this with at least an Ace, thus you are extremely likely to be behind. If you do manage to end up ahead, then its quite likely to be only 60/40.

I dont think this is a call. QQ+ and AK I call. Anything else then I fold. If he continues to do it - then I might call with a A-Broadway hand.

I prefer to be the one moving all in rather than calling the all-in.