Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-19-2005, 07:14 AM

Default Is it possible to find a poker \"teacher\"?

Have any of YOU found one? I would love to find a great poker player to even sit with me for a few days and watch/critique/guide my online play (I play only sngs and low buy in satellites online). Any info/advice would be great. thanks.
Old 06-19-2005, 12:22 PM

Default Re: Is it possible to find a poker \"teacher\"?

Hmmm.... I infer you're willing to pay for this service, right?

I think about how Roy West (of low-limit stud book fame) has a regular ad in Card Player offering lessons, but those seem to be in person in Las Vegas, and that has nothing to do with tournaments. Not sure about online, though. Maybe ask at the higher-limit forums here, or PM some of the people in forums like Psychology talking about their $100/hr winrates? I'm sure you'd find somebody to mentor you if the price is right.

But don't overlook how much you can learn from just posting histories, if you're not already.
Old 06-19-2005, 12:31 PM

Bob Ciaffone (aka "The Coach") will function as a poker coach, however unless you live in Michigan, he probably won't be sitting with you. What he will do is talk to you about your game. You pay for a number of hours and use them as you need them to go over aspects of your game. I looked into it once, and found the price to be very reasonable. He's noted for his ability to think clearly about the game and mentor players.

Tommy Angelo will also coach. I don't recall his fee or his style, but I believe he will come to meet and play with you. You can find him at his site.

Good luck,

T
Old 06-19-2005, 02:02 PM

Thanks for the responses. Interesting stuff. I checked out Tommy Angelo's site. I can afford 125.00 an hour but the 4k up front is a little steep. I could play poker for a loooooong time with 4k. Right now i'm playing $10 sngs at pp and occasionlly playing low limit and multi table tourneys at B&M's so 4k goes a long way for me.
I found lots of site that have books and articles by "The Coach" but no web site that talks of his coaching services.
I'll probably stick to the 2+2 forums right now for my "coaching". Thanks for the info!
Old 06-19-2005, 03:45 PM

Here is the link for Bob Ciaffone coach
Old 06-19-2005, 03:54 PM

Thanks, AZ. I couldn't find his site.

Regards,

T