Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-2005, 07:21 PM

Default Killer yard sale- I bought a telescope...

...which i have no real idea how to use, or even IF i'll use it... Though I was into astronomy as a kid (still have my old star charts, books, etc). and I've have recently been looking for cool stuff to fill up the apartment which i will be movng into next month (it's quite a bit bigger than the one i'm in now). I suspect I'll end up using it about once a month and it'll gather dust the rest of the year sitting in the corner looking neat. I did a couple searches, it retails for $399-$499, I got it for $75- perfect condition, except it's missing one micro-adjust cable (gonna run about $40 if i want it). It's a Meade model 395 (the pic makes it look smaller than it is- it's a big motherfuker- about 4 feet long, four inches in diameter, and stands at eye level with the tripod extended:

I've also been looking for some cool art for my new place, and have recently been fascinated by old maps and prints. I was looking at this one a few weeks ago:

It's an original 1860 map/diagram of the solar system 21x25 inches, and is selling for $180 (i've shopped around, and this is a fair price). I think this would look really cool framed and mounted behind the telescope in the sunroom of my soon-to-be apartment. You all like this kind of decor/art?

thoughts?
Old 06-18-2005, 07:23 PM

Default Post deleted by Mat Sklansky

Old 06-18-2005, 07:31 PM

Default Re: Killer yard sale- I bought a telescope...

[ QUOTE ]
Look in young chicks' windows with it. It's more entertaining than astronomy.

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't need a telescope to see chicks, dude. *rolls eyes*
Old 06-18-2005, 07:37 PM

I've always loved charts and maps. Be careful though, I think some of them summon Satan if teenagers read them aloud, especially after they've been making out.

Grats on the scope. I've always thought it would be very cool to have a nice one. Looking at the stars is very relaxing and pretty interesting. Can you hook a camera up to it?
Old 06-18-2005, 07:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Be careful though, I think some of them summon Satan if teenagers read them aloud, especially after they've been making out.

[/ QUOTE ]
lol.

[ QUOTE ]
Can you hook a camera up to it?

[/ QUOTE ]

woah! that would be very, very cool. i didn't even think of that! I used to be an avid photographer (one of the thoughts that ran through my head when buying the scope was 'that tripod is worth the money in itself!) and i still have all my old darkroom equiptment. if a can get some cool shots with this bad boy, i may have to set all that crap up again. cool.
Old 06-18-2005, 07:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Can you hook a camera up to it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, usually with a T-Mount