Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-2005, 01:17 PM

Default Pokah Trackah Q

Looking at the main tab on when you open the ring window, is the rake total at the far right my MGR? Or is it table rake, something else, etc?
Old 06-17-2005, 01:19 PM

Default Re: Pokah Trackah Q

wrong forum, but total rake for table at stake
Old 06-17-2005, 01:21 PM

Ah ok. does pt list my MGR somewhere?

I thought I'd ask here since people actually read this forum and play simliar games as I.
Old 06-17-2005, 02:50 PM

actually i think the rake listed in the general tab of PT is the rake taken out of the pots you won.

it doesn't list your MGR.
Old 06-17-2005, 07:46 PM

This is the closest I can get to a running total of MGR, using PT. You will need Microsoft Access for this to be of any use. If you have Microsoft Office, you probably have Access.

Open the Poker Tracker .mdb file in Access, usually this is called ptrack1.mdb. If you have multiple PT databases (eg for NL $25->$1000 Challenge etc.), they will be numbered ptrack1.mdb, ptrack2.mdb and so on. This solution is only able to be used on one database at a time, but it will be trivial to add together the totals.

Once you have the ptrack1.mdb database open in Access, change to the "Queries" tab. click "Create new query in design view", then go on the menu bar "View->SQL View". You should get a blank while box with "SELECT;" written in it, instead of the Access Query Builder tool.

Paste the following code into the window, and click the "!" icon to run the query. The parts in <font color="blue">blue</font> you should change as appropriate to you (screen_name and rakeback %). I presume you are using this to estimate rakeback, so I included this part.

[ QUOTE ]
SELECT Count(game_players.game_id) AS Hands, Sum(game.rake/ game.number_of_players) AS MGR, MGR*<font color="blue">0.25</font> AS Rakeback
FROM players INNER JOIN (game INNER JOIN game_players ON game.game_id = game_players.game_id) ON players.player_id = game_players.player_id
WHERE (((game_players.hole_card_1) Is Not Null) AND ((players.screen_name)="<font color="blue">dave</font>"));

[/ QUOTE ]

This produces a MGR very close to what my affiliate tells me, so I believe it to be working properly. As far as I know, MGR is calculated on a per hand basis, where MGR = rake / players dealt hole cards.

I hope this helps you,

dave.
Old 06-17-2005, 08:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is the closest I can get to a running total of MGR, using PT. You will need Microsoft Access for this to be of any use. If you have Microsoft Office, you probably have Access.

Open the Poker Tracker .mdb file in Access, usually this is called ptrack1.mdb. If you have multiple PT databases (eg for NL $25-&gt;$1000 Challenge etc.), they will be numbered ptrack1.mdb, ptrack2.mdb and so on. This solution is only able to be used on one database at a time, but it will be trivial to add together the totals.

Once you have the ptrack1.mdb database open in Access, change to the "Queries" tab. click "Create new query in design view", then go on the menu bar "View-&gt;SQL View". You should get a blank while box with "SELECT;" written in it, instead of the Access Query Builder tool.

Paste the following code into the window, and click the "!" icon to run the query. The parts in <font color="blue">blue</font> you should change as appropriate to you (screen_name and rakeback %). I presume you are using this to estimate rakeback, so I included this part.

[ QUOTE ]
SELECT Count(game_players.game_id) AS Hands, Sum(game.rake/ game.number_of_players) AS MGR, MGR*<font color="blue">0.25</font> AS Rakeback
FROM players INNER JOIN (game INNER JOIN game_players ON game.game_id = game_players.game_id) ON players.player_id = game_players.player_id
WHERE (((game_players.hole_card_1) Is Not Null) AND ((players.screen_name)="<font color="blue">dave</font>"));

[/ QUOTE ]

This produces a MGR very close to what my affiliate tells me, so I believe it to be working properly. As far as I know, MGR is calculated on a per hand basis, where MGR = rake / players dealt hole cards.

I hope this helps you,

dave.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont know what all that access stuff does, but all you need to do is this:

Go to the "summary" tab
Take the total rake amount you see there and divide it by the avg number of players playing at your tables. This number is very very close to what Party uses for MGR.

The number you see on the right hand side of the "general" tab is the total rake taken from all the pots you won. Party doesnt use this number for anything.
Old 06-17-2005, 08:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Go to the "summary" tab
Take the total rake amount you see there and divide it by the avg number of players playing at your tables. This number is very very close to what Party uses for MGR.

[/ QUOTE ]

The total rake amount shown in the summary tab is skewed if you are importing hands from observed tables, not participating in the hand.

The database I am testing this on is my NL Challenge $25-&gt;$100 DB, where I am sure I have not played at NL$100 (I have watched a bit of play there in hope, I am currently struggling at NL$50). The summary tab of PT shows $124 of rake @ NL$100, which is included in the total rake &amp; avg. players, but I have never sat at any NL$100 table (in this database).

This part of the Access SQL should take care of that problem:

[ QUOTE ]
WHERE (((game_players.hole_card_1) Is Not Null) ....

[/ QUOTE ]

This line makes sure you were dealt cards, which must be required to generate MGR.

If I do the calculations using only NL$25, where I was seated in almost every hand imported, therte is little difference in the figures both your method and the Access method produce. If I try with NL$50 also, where I have observed many hands, the MGR figures are well out when compared to my affiliate's tracker.

If you do not import observed hand histories, I would imagine that both methods will produce the same numbers.

dave.

PS, are you the iceman5 who wrote some of the bet-the-pot articles? If so, many thanks. They are concise, well written and most importantly have been of great help in my learning of this new NL game during the last few weeks.
Old 06-17-2005, 09:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Go to the "summary" tab

[/ QUOTE ]

The total rake amount shown in the summary tab is skewed if you are importing hands from observed tables, not participating in the hand.

The database I am testing this on is my NL Challenge $25-&gt;$100 DB, where I am sure I have not played at NL$100 (I have watched a bit of play there in hope, I am currently struggling at NL$50). The summary tab of PT shows $124 of rake @ NL$100, which is included in the total rake &amp; avg. players, but I have never sat at any NL$100 table (in this database).

This part of the Access SQL should take care of that problem:

[ QUOTE ]
WHERE (((game_players.hole_card_1) Is Not Null) ....

[/ QUOTE ]

This line makes sure you were dealt cards, which must be required to generate MGR.

If I do the calculations using only NL$25, where I was seated in almost every hand imported, therte is little difference in the figures both your method and the Access method produce. If I try with NL$50 also, where I have observed many hands, the MGR figures are well out when compared to my affiliate's tracker.

If you do not import observed hand histories, I would imagine that both methods will produce the same numbers.

dave.

PS, are you the iceman5 who wrote some of the bet-the-pot articles? If so, many thanks. They are concise, well written and most importantly have been of great help in my learning of this new NL game during the last few weeks.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hadnt thought about people observing hands, but I guess youre right.

Yes, I am the same iceman5. I am the founder of Bet-The-Pot.com