Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2005, 10:36 PM

Default +EV on a checkraise??

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (8.33 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 folds, MP3 calls, BB calls.

Turn: (5.66 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP3 calls.

River: (9.66 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP3 calls.

Final Pot: 11.66 BB

No good reads since Ive just recently sat down. A few hands ago I did raise preflop with a mid pair and have an A and K flop. I led the flop and check/folded the turn.
After MP3 cold calls preflop I figure he has 2 big cards or a pair. When he calls the flop I figure he has an A or 2 big spades, most likely KQ. Both possibilities seem that they would be worth a bet if I check. Since this shows weekness on my part I may be able to keep BB in for another bet. And since a free card would hardly worry me much I decided to go for a check raise. When the spade fell on the river I couldnt be more happy. I lead hoping to get raised but only get called. MP3 holds two black 9s.

Obvously the play worked in this situation(even though my read was way off), but Im wondering if the play and the thinking behind it was sound.

Comments....
Old 06-16-2005, 10:47 PM

Default Re: +EV on a checkraise??

I like this play better with reads. You are losing money when this gets checked through. And not having any idea whether MP3 is one to bet a mid pp or draw here or content to take the free card. Make the draws pay on the turn, because when it's checked through and whiffs you also gain less on the river because the pot is smaller and get less overcalls.
Old 06-16-2005, 10:50 PM

Bet. You just might get to 3bet. There is a nice flush draw and a straight out there, this checking through would blow.
Old 06-16-2005, 10:51 PM

I also like betting out because you can get the oppurtunity to 3 bet when BB has the case jack and wakes up, you can trap MP3's likely spade draw or if he's dumb get overcalls from his Axs.
Old 06-16-2005, 11:51 PM

I don't really like checkraising. There's a risk of getting the hand checked through, and checkraising announces that you have at least a jack.
Old 06-17-2005, 12:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Bet. You just might get to 3bet.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 06-17-2005, 01:50 AM

I probably would of lead out betting on the turn. You have a monster hand and your pot equity is so huge that I would hope to get raised here by possible trip J's (only thing I can think of that would raise on the turn) as weaker players love J10 and will cold call with it thinking its a great hand. There is a possibility of K10 raising you on the turn here too. If you were to 3bet it maybe you would even get a cap from someone who made the straight with K10.

I just like to come out betting in the low limit games with weak players. Its expected they will play their weak/marginal holdings to the end all to often and I expect tons of action from their calling down to the end. I like to check raise to drive out opponents and protect my holdings that are vulnerable. I'll CR when I think there is a good chance that I will be able to drive out some opponents who don't want to draw out for 2 bets. But I tend to only do this on the turn. Facing two big bets is a lot harder for people on the turn than two small bets.

Nice hand by the way. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-17-2005, 03:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Bet. You just might get to 3bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]