Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-21-2005, 01:34 AM

Default Im confused. Help please. 2-5 nl. All streets confused.

2-5 nl game at b&m club. 9 handed.

Lag but solid postflop player to immediate right raises to 20 in EP+1. Hero has black Jacks, calls 20. Button Calls. 3 to a flop.

Q56 two diamonds. Queen is not a diamond. Lag bets 35. I call. Button folds.

Turn: 8 diamonds. Lag checks, I Check.

RIver : A diamonds. Lag checks, I bet 60. Villain calls with 89 9 of diamonds.

A few questions. On that flop, should be inclined to call because I could take it away later + i might have the best hand+ a call will probably gain me the same benefit/info as a raise here? I realize I checked the turn with the best hand and with a board with my oppenant probably drawing to at least 9 outs. Was My river play was bad since he either paired his ace or will call with a medium flush after I checked the turn?

So, should I bet turn here with a 3 flush on board since Im either drawing dead and have him drawing to a bunch of outs? How is this different from a pot control turn check situation? am i not trying to control the pot because my opp has 1. a lot of outs 2. I likely have the best hand 3. I am not trying to induce a bluff on this board?

MY river bet is bad because there are a lot of hands that will call that beat me and I am not likely to push many hands I beat off?

My logic is lost, please help.
Old 06-21-2005, 02:12 AM

Default Re: Im confused. Help please. 2-5 nl. All streets confused.

you showed weakness the entire time... except for the river which was the place NOT to be overly aggressive...

i don't know what this guy is doing raising with 89os... you should have reraised pre flop to get a better read on his hand... should have done the same after the flop... should have bet after he checked the turn -- people with top pair or slightly better rarely do that because they want to avoid being outdrawn... his check was a genuine sign of weakness...

you are right about the river bet being bad... too much and yet too little... so many hands can beat you and any of them would call the bet so its definetely -EV on that one
Old 06-21-2005, 02:21 AM

i like to re raise with pocket pair as high as jj right there in that situation. winnig a $25 pot is nothing to be looked down upon.
Old 06-21-2005, 10:55 AM

Posting a question without stack sizes is indicative of not thinking about the game properly. Whether calling or reraising is correct PF is largely a function of stack sizes.
Old 06-21-2005, 11:29 AM

as you can see bobman, my post is not entirely about whether a call or reraise was correct PF.

If the flop was heads up and with deep stacks should I be more incined to raise in position or call with my jacks?

And, in the same scenario as the post, what if the turn card was a blank, non diamond, do i have an argument for checking behind?on the turn? or should irt almost always be an opening to bet? I figure if he checks that turn on a non-diamond, it becomes a situation sort of similar to pot control check, and hes drawing to 6 outs at most and my check behind induces a bluff? or does it not induce a bluff as much as a bet/check line on the flop and turn?
Old 06-21-2005, 01:20 PM

bump
Old 06-21-2005, 01:27 PM

i think if you were going to try to steal on the river, you should've bet more than 60 into a pot of ~130
Old 06-21-2005, 01:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I beat off?

[/ QUOTE ]