Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-15-2005, 03:55 AM

Default One more hand, AKo BB

UTG is unknown. MP3 was 17/12 at the time with about 60 hands. Upon review I'm not a big fan of the way I played this one, although maybe I'm being influenced by the results.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Hero calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (9.40 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG folds, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, MP3 folds.

Final Pot: 7.20 BB
Old 06-15-2005, 04:09 AM

Default Re: One more hand, AKo BB

I think you should cap this hand preflop, because you would really like UTG to fold for 2 bets back to him. Even if he doesn't, AK obviously has pretty high equity here.

On the flop, I think you played it correctly since you are out of position against this guy. While it looks like villain had a pocket pair &lt; K and wanted a cheap showdown, playing it less agressively is only going to net you one more big bet from this guy. But most players aren't going to be able to fold any hand they raise you with (obviously reads have an effect here). I feel like the 3bet is better than a later checkraise since there is a significant chance the raise is a free card play - either with someone who has two hearts or a pocket pair that wants a cheap showdown.

Further, your opponents numbers indicate that he is fairly sophisticated. It is not like he is a super laggy player who you know you can pull a checkraise on, there is a solid chance your opponent here is using that raise for another purpose than value. That also doesn't take into consideration the times that your opponent is raising this for value with something like KQ, and will cap it up for you (hard to put you an AK when you didn't cap preflop).

Those circumstances combined make me feel like you are gaining more by 3betting the flop than calling the flop raise and checkraising a later street.
Old 06-15-2005, 06:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you should cap this hand preflop, because you would really like UTG to fold for 2 bets back to him.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? the hands he folds here are hands you have dominated
Old 06-15-2005, 10:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Good! For example, UTG has KQo and MP3 has JJ: UTG is getting correct odds to call 2 bets. If he folds, he is making a mistake.
Old 06-15-2005, 02:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Good! For example, UTG has KQo and MP3 has JJ: UTG is getting correct odds to call 2 bets. If he folds, he is making a mistake.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would have capped preflop also but I like this thinking a lot. Is this something you normally do or a variation play?
Old 06-15-2005, 03:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I would have capped preflop also but I like this thinking a lot. Is this something you normally do or a variation play?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm confused as to who this question is directed at. If you're asking me if this is something I do a lot, then no. I actually don't know if I've ever done this before.
Old 06-15-2005, 04:37 AM

I like not capping preflop -- I would like to see if UTG caps. Most people won't fold for 2 bets back to them either.

I think you should C/R this flop. MP3 will most likely open the betting and you can force UTG to face two cold.

to add, if you think MP3 will fire another barrel on the turn with a weaker hand -- I'd C/R the turn.
Old 06-15-2005, 06:05 AM

Why are you so concerned about folding out UTG by making him face two cold, what hand is behind yours which has the odds to continue on the flop?

the 3 bet was excessive a stop and go probably gets called down here by a PP and wins you more
Old 06-15-2005, 04:39 AM

Preflop I could go either way on, I think calling is probably slightly better here though.

I don't like the flop three-bet. I would prefer a stop-n-go or a turn checkraise (maybe check/call bet the river?). I don't think he is taking the free card very often at all.
Old 06-15-2005, 04:40 AM

Yeah, that's sucky.

Cap preflop.

Don't be so heavy handed on that flop. You are only going to get action from AA. You need a more kind and gentle rope a dope line here.