Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-15-2005, 12:41 PM

Default Party $300 WSOP Qualifier Hand

Hello

I played in the Party $300 WSOP quailfier last night and I am not sure if I made a good or bad play.

I don't have the exact hand history with me but here are the details.

206 started and top 4 get seats. 150 players left and the average is about $1300

Hero has 1970 in chips. I have played only one hand the whole tourney, where I won all in with AA

Villan is a solid tight player with 1350 in chips. He won a 100 + 9 multi earlier this week if that means anything

Blinds are 25/50

Hero is dealt 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] in MP and makes it 150 total
Button calls and Villan in the BB call the extra 100

Flop is 2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 10 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Villan checks, Hero checks and Button checks

Turn is 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Villan bets 200 (making the total pot 675) and has 1000 left.

I think about it and push all in:

My reasoning was: To complete out of the BB for 100 he had a hand. I put him on the following hands based on my read of him and my table image:

AA to 22
AK to A10
KQ, KJ, QJ

I also believed it was a real tough test for him to call.
My reasoning is that it would take a hand that is really strong to risk your tourney life? I thought he could call with only AA, KK, QQ, JJ, TT, 99, 22, KQ -- (I think he might of led the flop with AJ or KJ?)

Also, I thought about the concept that if you bluff leave yourself outs. I knew a 7 or a Q were possibly outs for me (and I thought maybe 8 could be as well).

Anyways he thought for a long time and called with

10 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]10 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

No help on the river.

I guess in this format only 1 in 45 get the "prize" so I was try to accumulate chips without going to showdown as little as possible. Was I impatient trying to push here or was it an okay move?

Thanks
Old 06-15-2005, 01:26 PM

Default Re: Party $300 WSOP Qualifier Hand

Your range is way too wide, any pair, any non Ax, and any face card? I think if that's all the read you have, put the 8's down and live to fight another day.
Old 06-15-2005, 01:44 PM

Your range is too wide for villain to lead T200 into 2 players with such a dangerous board. I think its more likely that villain has at least a J with bunch of outs too.
You have the worst hand.

You also don't have credibility to push because AA-QQ, or any jack bets the flop after raising BTF. JJ, TT, 99 and KQ don't push because they don't want to lose CO. So I don't know what you are supposed to have.

I think you can fold to the turn bet.
Old 06-15-2005, 02:23 PM

yeah, i'd fold to the turn bet. it's a very coordinated board and you might not be able to move villain off a hand like QT, and it's reasonably likely he has two pair now. JK or KK kills your Q as an out. button might be very strong (it'd be nice to know his stack size). just dump it.
Old 06-15-2005, 02:55 PM

Send in the Kicking Team!