Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-15-2005, 10:05 AM

Default Standard?

Hey guys, wanted to see if you play your sets this way. My thinking was that the preflop raiser had a big ace, and that i'd get raised here, building a big pot, then i'd put a huge checkraise in on the turn. Do you play it this way...obviously this one didn'twork out, but I wanted to confirm that I'm playing this the right way.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Hero ($172.7)
MP ($98.35)
CO ($97.85)
Button ($17.2)
SB ($73.33)
BB ($100)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.5.
Hero calls $1, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises to $5</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB (poster) calls $4.50, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls $4.

Flop: ($16) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $8</font>, CO folds, SB folds.

Final Pot: $24
Old 06-15-2005, 10:13 AM

Default Re: Standard?

I personally wouldn't play it that way. But, your play was fine.
I would have checked the flop to see if he'd bet, and then check-raise the turn. Or check-raise the flop. If he has an Ace, he'll bet/raise into you. If he has King, he'll bet into you thinking that his King is probably good. Might raise, might call. If he has pair lower than A,K, he'll bet into you, play it cautiously. If he has nothing, he'll check it. Bet the turn and if he doesn't bite, oh well.
Old 06-15-2005, 10:22 AM

Standard for me. I come out and bet 10-12, but thats really shennanigans, they either have a hand or they don't. You can't really check this because there are a ton of draws, and no one at the 100s is laying down a big ace on the flop here, and since there was a 5BB raise it's reasonable to check they have one.

I would hope to get raised on the flop, then CR the turn. Usually by the turn nobody is folding because of the pot odds, and if you are raised on the flop you don't have to worry too much about the draws, semibluffs are rare here.
Old 06-15-2005, 10:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Standard for me. I come out and bet 10-12, but thats really shennanigans, they either have a hand or they don't. You can't really check this because there are a ton of draws, and no one at the 100s is laying down a big ace on the flop here, and since there was a 5BB raise it's reasonable to check they have one.

I would hope to get raised on the flop, then CR the turn. Usually by the turn nobody is folding because of the pot odds, and if you are raised on the flop you don't have to worry too much about the draws, semibluffs are rare here.

[/ QUOTE ]

everything he said
Old 06-15-2005, 11:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

everything he said

[/ QUOTE ]

ditto.
Old 06-15-2005, 11:05 AM

Was 5BB CO's standard raise? I often see people make this slightly larger raise with mid pocket pairs, NOT aces. If this is his standard raise, disregard.
Old 06-15-2005, 11:22 AM

yeah, 4-5 was standard especially with limpers.