Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-15-2005, 12:53 AM

Default Three consecutive missed overcard hands

I normally hate multi-hand posts, but I hope this one elicits a different reaction.

These three hands happened consecutively at the same table. I am in the same, common, dilemma in all of them: missed overcards. Pretty basic stuff, but I'm afraid my basics are off-kilter.

The table has felt pretty passive. I've only seen one player get tricky, and he's not involved in these hands.

Hand 1: PokerStars 3/6 Hold'em (5 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB <font color="#A500AF">(Andrew)</font> calls.

Andrew is a 50/3.5/0.6 over 100 hands.

Flop: (4.33 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Andrew checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Andrew calls.

Turn: (3.16 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Andrew checks, Hero checks.

River: (3.16 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Andrew bets</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 4.16 BB

Seems very basic to me.

Hand 2: PokerStars 3/6 Hold'em (5 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is CO with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB <font color="#A500AF">(Andrew)</font> calls, BB <font color="#A500AF">(Billy)</font> calls.

Same Andrew as before - Billy is 37/13/1.2 over 100 hands.

Flop: (6 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Andrew checks, Billy checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Andrew calls, Billy folds.

Turn: (4 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Andrew bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Andrew 3-bets</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 9 BB

Just a little bit of useless machismo, I'm afraid. I wanted to go for a free showdown or to blow him off of a bluff. I think folding is the best option given Andrew's passivity - I just felt like wasting 2BB before I did [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

Hand 3: PokerStars 3/6 Hold'em (6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB <font color="#A500AF">(Billy)</font> calls, BB calls.

Same Billy. BB is unknown.

Flop: (6 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Billy checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Billy calls, BB calls.

Turn: (4.50 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Billy checks, BB checks, Hero checks.

River: (4.50 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Billy bets</font>, BB folds, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 5.50 BB

Not sure about this one - feeling really weak. Perhaps bet-fold the turn, planning to put no more money in on the river? I felt like I had little folding equity on the turn, given that he called the flop. Or show down my ace high here?
Old 06-15-2005, 01:16 AM

Default Re: Three consecutive missed overcard hands

#1 Looks good to me.

#2 Bad, don't do that. Probably best to fold the turn. Also, why would you want to stop someone from bluffing at you?

#3 I would call that river sometimes, against most unknown opponents.
Old 06-15-2005, 01:58 AM

#1 and #2 pretty self explanatory. #3 on the turn i would bet, a lot of morons will call down with ace high thinking you have a K high when the flop pairs. also, trips will bet the turn in multi way pots.
Old 06-15-2005, 02:03 AM

not betting the turn in hand 1 is a huge mistake. you have a monster draw with a relatively high chance of holding the best hand as well. HE is the one that wants a free card here, not you!

hand 2 bad turn raise but you know that

hand 3 looks good
Old 06-15-2005, 02:14 AM

1) Bet turn, you have a fair ammount of equity if check-raised and you get to make a valuebet on the end if you improve. The guy is way too loose and passive for his call on the flop to mean that you are behind.

2) Just fold, he is too passive to spend 2 bets here till he show you otherwise.

3) I bet-fold the turn.

You seem pretty afraid of simple calls by loose players, what do you do when they actually raise, hide under your bed ?

Many of the shitty flop calls they make becomes correct when the get a free rivercard or get to bluff you out on the end.
Old 06-15-2005, 02:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]

You seem pretty afraid of simple calls by loose players, what do you do when they actually raise, hide under your bed ?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, there are monsters there. [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

Yes, you're right, I've become especially weak recently. I usually make continuation bets on the turn, I swear. Thanks for your advice - it has expanded my rudimentary thinking on the situation.