Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2005, 06:01 PM

Default River lay-down

Sb is a 30/12/26(sd)

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (8 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, CO calls, Hero calls, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (5 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB folds, UTG+1 folds, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls, CO folds.

Turn: (5 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls.

River: (7 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 10 BB

Was this a stupid value-bet to attempt on such a dangerous board
Old 06-14-2005, 06:07 PM

Default Re: River lay-down

Ya, the board is scarry with the flush draw and straight draws coming in. But, I call the river raise because the pot is so big. A lot of the time he's got 2-pair here anyway.
Old 06-14-2005, 06:10 PM

what 2-pair is he going to have? i think that the likelyhood of a 5 or 2 clubs is much more likely especially from a sb who completes pf, and betting his draw on the flop.
Old 06-14-2005, 06:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Was this a stupid value-bet to attempt on such a dangerous board

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe. Given that SB bet the flop you'd have to put him squarely on a 5 to make this fold. He could easily have an ace. I doubt he's c/r'ing this river with a 6 but stranger things have happended. He might have the flush with the Ac but otherwise his flop bet doesn't make much sense.

I think my default line here would be to bet call, but that might be wrong. Check call seems reasonable. Fellas?
Old 06-14-2005, 06:36 PM

1) We have position, no need to check-call
2) The flush also came in
3) So I'm checking behind, if I can safely fold to a raise I'd think about betting, but I don't want to so I'm checking

Backdoor flush, didn't see that at first, makes it closer
Old 06-14-2005, 06:49 PM

I'm not good enough to make this river fold. I'm betting and calling the river here every time.
Old 06-14-2005, 07:40 PM

since he is in the small blind, he can have any two pair.

you are beat probably, that`s true, but that doesn't justify a fold. there are 10 BB in the pot, that means you must be more than 90 % sure that you are beat to make a fold the correct play. there is no way to be that sure in a situation like this.

*edit*
to answer your initial question: i think your value bet on the river was fine. before the river check-raise your chances to have the best hand was very good and it would have been clearly over 50% after a call on his side.
Old 06-14-2005, 07:57 PM

Value bet is good. The fold doesn't really matter. I think you can call here with a similar expectation, as you don't have a good read.
Old 06-14-2005, 10:08 PM

I think you have to call once you bet - can you really be 90% sure you're beat?

If I had time to think it through, I probably wouldn't worry about the flush draw too much here given the bet out on the flop, unless you think that was a steal. I think he'd need something like Q4s, other than that, I can't see many likely club hands that have you beat.

So it's whether or not he has a 5. I wouldn't be 90% sure he does.

So, I think the laydown was a mistake but the bet wasn't.
Old 06-14-2005, 10:42 PM

SoSo, you have to bet the river, and you have to call the raise. There are many ways he could be raising for value with 2 pair.

Good luck.
Eric