Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2005, 11:57 PM

Default Do yourself a favor and get involved in this thread

Through conversations with certain posters I am getting the feeling some of you guys are losing money in preflop play. Not all of you, but a good portion.

First off, a good many posters here don't adjust their raising standards in accordance with the texture of the game. Second off, they don't alter their raising standards in accordance with position. What they raise with UTG they will raise with in MP and in LP, etc etc.

So, I propose the following:

1) DO NOT READ THE REPLIES IN THIS THREAD

2) Go into Microsoft Word (or notepad, whatever). Write down the hands you will raise in EP, in MP, in LP, and in the blinds. Write down what hands you'll 3-bet, what hands you'll raise but fold to a raise, etc. What hands will you limp in passive games, what hands will you limp in tight games. For instance, it might not be smart to limp JTs when it's folded to you in a tighter aggressive game, whereas a JTs limp makes perfect sense in a loose-passive game and 3 have limped before you. Etc, etc, etc

Put as much detail into it as you can. Then, when you're done, post it up here. Compare your preflop strategy with those who win some, and those who win a lot.

Compare, compare, compare. Learn.

Preflop poker is some of the simplest stuff to learn. Postflop play is where you make the meat of your earn, but to butcher preflop play is to throw money out the window.

3) Read SSHE every couple of months. In case you fade out on certain things, rereading SSHE will put you back in gear for sharp play.

Learning how to play well postflop is one of the hardest skills out there. That's what this forum is for.

But dammit, you guys need to be executing perfectly preflop. Anything else is just not acceptable, unless you hate money.
Old 06-09-2005, 12:14 AM

Default Re: Do yourself a favor and get involved in this thread

EP

AA-99, AKs-ATs, AKo-AJo, KQs, KQo, somtimes KJs

MP

AA-77, AKs-A9s, AKo-AJo sometimes ATo, KQs-KTs, KQo, KJo, QJs, JTs (depends)

LP

AA-55, AKs-A2s (this of course depends on my actual position and # limpers) AKo-ATo, KQs-K8s (this of course depends on my actual position and # limpers), KQo-KTo, QJs-QTs, JTs, QJo-QTo, JTo

Blinds= EP

I never raise and fold to a raise.

3-bet: can't really do this. I'll friggin 3-bet KTs against 77/55 or whatever. etc etc

Passive games limp-

Axs, any pp, JTs, QJs (EP) QTs (and of course Kxs in LP)

Tight games limp-

A8s+ (raise too, but whatever) pp, and others with more limpers, etc.

If I missed something obvious it's because of this session I just put in:

3 handed:

On my left: 88/15/5 (sat down after I did, ugh)

On my right: 58/14/0.84 (but loves to get tricky like c/ring ragged flops b/c he knows you have overcards, c/ring river bluff when board pairs, etc).

That was the most stressful session EVER. 100 --> 50 (rebuy) 100 --> 200 --> 150 --> 175 -->125 --> 200.

They finally left and I was actually glad so that I could quit playing for the night. BTW- I'm at 1.07 BB/100 now at 2/4, just a few days after my whining post. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] My AF numbers are starting to come down, as is my FTRB. WTSD is still around 30 though, so we'll see about that.
Old 06-09-2005, 12:20 AM

It depends. Plus, preflop is gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay.
Old 06-09-2005, 12:23 AM

Would you be amused if I told you I thought of this at a coffee shop today? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I just read over the SSHE PF recommendations and I was shocked to see how far off I was. Some of the exceptions are wise, some aren't.

I haven't read over the PP/SC post, yet though, so that's worth a look.
Old 06-09-2005, 12:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you think that, I recommend NLHE.
Old 06-09-2005, 12:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I honestly expected more from you. Take that for what it's worth.

I'll post mine tomorrow.
Old 06-09-2005, 07:40 AM

Can I make an additional suggestion. Make blind defense a part of this assignment. It's a part of preflop play where I'm a bit lost sometime.

As per the instructions I have not yet read the replies to this thread yet (the weather being like it is, I'll have to take out a notepad and head outdoors). So sorry someone else mentioned it before.
Old 06-09-2005, 07:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I honestly expected more from you. Take that for what it's worth.

I'll post mine tomorrow.

[/ QUOTE ]

just for you, clayton, ill do it...tomorrow, in the afternoon when i wake up...im a bit too stoned at the moment...
Old 06-09-2005, 08:08 AM

EP: I'm Raising All pockets above 77, along with AJoff and A9s KQoff I don't raise KJs.

I three bet JJ and up along with AK I might three bet some other holdings also.

I limp KJs, in loose games I'll limp some small pockets and some AXs also. I almost never play any SC form EP.

MP: Same raising standards (i might raise AToff and I'm raising KJs here sometime KJoff)

I'll limp some high sc And either raise or limp AXs (though i might fold the lowest AXs)

LP:I'm raising Any AXs and A8 and above. I raise 55 and hope it gets heads up. I Might raise QJoff and I raise more than limp with QJ.

I might limp some pockets and SC but this is all dependent on wehter the hand is going multiway.

Blinds: This is very dependent on who is in or out I don't like to raise my blinds if a couple of EP has limped then I'm only raising big hands.

If I'm raised by LP I love to defend my blind and might three bet some crap here.

As for my coldcalling standards I prefer to threebet if I can find a legimate reason. In general I'll colcall TT and above. Sometimes I'll coldcall ATs and above. I coldcall KQoff and AQoff also knowing that I might be dominated this could definately be a leak.?

I think thats about it for my general preflop. I'll make a loose call every once in a while when I wan't to play a SC or something similar.
Old 06-09-2005, 08:12 AM

@SHADOW29

You play JTs from MP..??

Is this +EV on your pokertracker so far..?

I've started to hate both JT and JTS. can't make em winning hands.