Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-2005, 10:13 AM

Default Hand from $15+1 PP Tourney

I am posting this from work so I don't have the HH with me. I'll try to include all the necessary details.

Late in tourney, 1600 started, down to ~229, average chip stack around T5500, Hero has around T7700.

Blinds 200/400.

Folds to me in MP3 with K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 10 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. Tight player in BB with about T10000, but (EXTREMELY) loose player in SB with around T12000.

I raise to T1000, hoping of course to snatch the blinds, but not feeling terrible about my hand.

Button calls, SB calls, BB calls (what a blunder of a blind steal =P).

Flop comes 10 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].

SB comes in for a raise of 500. Now, I described this guy earlier as loose. I mean really loose. I mean VPIP of 60, PFR of 18. I mean called an UTG allin from UTG+2 with T6o (naturally turned a full house). Very loose.

BB calls, I raise to 2000 to chase away stuff like AJ with one diamond I suppose, and for value -- I certainly don't mind a hand like JT calling me.

Folds to SB who minraises to 3500. BB folds, and I'm in a pickle. This guy has been so loose, I really have no idea where I'm at. He could easily have 43o here. At the same time, he could easily have T9o. Or a set. Or 56.

I reraise allin, he calls.

What do you think?
Old 06-13-2005, 12:24 PM

Default Re: Hand from $15+1 PP Tourney

i'll bump this a couple times today, if no one thinks its intersting, c'est la vie. i'm interested in my play here against someone i know to be very loose aggressive. also would like to get a couple replies before i post results.

its such a marginal situation that im sort of wracking my brain about it.
Old 06-13-2005, 01:05 PM

Given your read on him, I think going all-in is fine, since you want to punish him for any flush/straight draw he might be on. If you had more respect for his game you could give him more credit for a hand and it would be easier to bail.

The minraise to 3500 is odd. If he truly had a great hand, why not just go all-in at that point? You've already shown strength with the 2K reraise, and at that point if he has a set then he needs to make YOU pay for a flush draw.
Old 06-13-2005, 01:27 PM

I've seen this a few times from perceived weak players. They make really small or min bets into a big pot then min-reraise any raise. Can't say I have completely sussed it out as yet but as a rule it normally seems to show atleast some strength.

At the same time I think you've go too much invested here to throw it away considering the range of hands he could have. I play it the same way then sigh in disbelief as he turns over T3.
Old 06-13-2005, 02:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I play it the same way then sigh in disbelief as he turns over T3.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bingo Bango Bongo!

Actually it was T4. Soooted.

However, this isn't a bad beat post. I honestly think I should have interpreted his minraise of my 1500 raise as a hell of a lot of strength, and I missed it. I just had a really hard time giving him credit for a big hand. This is a leak -- I forget that bad players can get good cards.

Anyone lay this down after his reraise? I am really thinking that might be the right play. I'm on the fence though. I know it's not a terribly interesting hand, but I think it's one that, because of the type of player he was, is at least worth discussion.

I really hope this guy went on to win the tournament. The way he was getting hit with the deck, I think it was his day.