Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-12-2005, 08:30 PM

Default Stud $5-10 hands from Mirage

Hi all. I made my first trip to Vegas this past week and played one session of $5-10 stud at the Mirage. The game only was played one of the days I was there. There was a list one of the other days but the game never occured. There is at least one $1-5 spread game going everyday, and a $15-30 game going regulary for anyone interested who is going out there. Some of the local players told me that the $5-10 game had been going on pretty regulary the past few weeks.

Anyways I have questions on two hands I played there. I do not know all the cards that were dealt on third street, this is the info I wrote down right after the session.

Hand 1: This hand is about 30 minutes into the session I am dealt (Ac Ah) 2c, (xx) 9s is next two act, he calls, there were at least two other high cards after him. This player has not been involved in many pots so far, and seems to be pretty tight. One player with (xx) 5c calls after him. So three handed.

(xx) 5c receives the 7s, I get the Ad for (Ac Ah) 2c Ad, early position caller gets 9d. Early position caller bets full amount with open 9s, the 57 calls, I raise. 99 calls, 57 calls. 57 receives a 8, I get a J, 99 receives another 9.

so: 578
me: (AA) 2 A J

999 bets, 578 calls, what should my action be, and the plan for the rest of the hand?

Hand 2: The villian in this hand has limp-raised with big pairs at least 3 times in his 1 hour or so at the table.

In this hand he limps 1st after bring-in with (xx) As, one caller, I call with (JJ)K, there are a couple callers behind me. You may argue that I should raise here, but I felt strongly he was going to limp-raise at the time. 3rd I receive a K for (JJ) KK, and bet the full amount $10, folded to (xx) As, who received the 3s, he raises right away. I am at least 90% sure he has Aces. Everyone folds to me. How should I play this hand?
Old 06-12-2005, 10:10 PM

Default Re: Stud $5-10 hands from Mirage

In hand 1 I'd call down unless I boated. There's some chance he has just a 3 flush and the trips, but most likely he has a pocket pair, so I'd keep the pot small as much as possible. Who knows what is up with the 578 player, but you'll certainly beat him if you boat too.

Hand 2, if you think he's limp-reraising with aces you should probably consider just folding on 3rd. As it is, I'd reraise on 4th and keep the pressure up, it's pretty unlikely that he has 2 pair already. You could also wait till 6th and checkraise if he hasn't made an open pair.
Old 06-13-2005, 01:55 AM

Default Re: Stud $5-10 hands from Mirage

Hand 1: Whatever the 578 has, put him on your buddy list. Oh wait, this is live. A straight is the only hand that makes sense, but even a straight shouldn't be calling. You raised an open pair on fourth, so you should have trips. Even if the Nines aren't full yet, there is enough of a chance that one of you will fill that the straight should get while the getting's good.

Anyway, you're probably in third place, but drawing very live and there is a certain amount of money in the pot. Even if the Nines have quads, you've got an out. Stay until the river, raise if you fill, and if you don't, well, I pay it off unless I'm really sure of my customer, and sometimes I pay it off anyway. Some people just can't be relied upon.

BTW, against thinking players, I would probably wait until at least fifth to raise. Your fourth street raise almost has to be trip Aces.

Hand 2: I say let the guy limp/re-raise if he wants. It'll help you know where you're at later in the hand. Any pair, big or small, dead or live, plays better heads-up than multi-way. You really don't want those callers behind you. If it costs you two bets, it costs you two bets.

I recommend hitting a Jack sooner rather than later, it will make the rest of the hand much easier to play. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I would say it's fairly likely that your opponent has made Aces-up. If this is the case, you're a 3:1 dog, and you're not getting odds to call this one down. If he is making this play with just Aces, you're winning. The other guy might be inclined to think you're just betting one pair. You didn't raise, so you're more likely to have a three-flush or three-straight than a pocket pair. I say call and check fifth. If he takes the free card, he earned it. I would plan on seeing the river.