Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-10-2005, 12:24 AM

Default Wireless Router Performance

I recently purchased a laptop and a wireless router (NETGEAR WGR614) I have noticed that interent performance is poor both in my PC (which is wired to the router) and the laptop (which is wireless to the router).

When my PC was linked directly to my modem, Party Poker network status would always be excellent. Now, through the router, Party Poker network status skips around between poor and good. I tried using both today to play at PP, but I kept losing connection.

My question is how much should internet performace decrease due to the router? Is these any settings I could adjust to fix it?

Thanks
Old 06-10-2005, 12:29 AM

Default Re: Wireless Router Performance

Do you live in an apartment complex or near enough to other residences where someone could be accessing your network and using your internet? If so make sure and password your connection.
Old 06-10-2005, 01:57 AM

i play strictly wireless, and always have an excellent connection.

the only problems i ever have is that sometimes when my phone rings, or someone is talking on the phone, i get disconnected. i wish i knew how to correct that, but i don't. it only happens some of the time, though.

oops...forgot to mention...i have cable internet, so my problem has to do with wireless interference.

cheers!
Old 06-10-2005, 10:14 AM

Try upgrading the firmware on your Netgear. I used to own a netgear and it was real shady. I would get constant wireless disconnects. However, now that I switched over to a Linksys, I am pretty much now 100% problem free. Though the newest firmware is key, to any router.
Old 06-10-2005, 12:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Try upgrading the firmware on your Netgear.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am looking on the NETGEAR website, but cannot find where to download frimware updates. The only thing I have found is the option to download firmware open source codes for various routers.
Old 06-10-2005, 12:46 PM

your desktop performance should not be effected if it isnt using wireless router.

i have a laptop using a wireless router as well and the connection is constantly a pain but the desktop never has a problem.
Old 06-10-2005, 12:51 PM

Location: \"Let me make it nearly unanimous -- misplayed on every street.\"

The desktop running worse really gives me concerns.

First check in the NetGears connections list, what computers are attached to the router. You may have someone leaching badwidth off of you. If not I'd get on the phone with them and see if they can't fix the issue. Something is misconfigured in the router and causing you hell.

I use a linksys, with a couple Cisco repeaters and rarely if ever have a problem, especially since going to WEP.
Old 06-10-2005, 12:54 PM

Just do this. Go to the store, go buy a Linksys router, and sell the Netgear on ebay. In the long run, it will prove out for the better.
Old 06-10-2005, 12:57 PM

your phone and router are operating on the same channel, so you want to change one of them. many phones let you select the channel yourself. check the manual if you have it. if you cant do that go to your router settings page (put your ip add. into your browser.) there should be an option to change your channel there. experiment with some new ones and this problem should go away.