Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-10-2005, 01:25 AM

Default Marginally interesting AA hand

Villain is unknown, but the table has been playing tight until this bizarrely active hand.

How does your line change given the presence of the clear moron in the BB? Is anyone more or less aggressive post flop?

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. CO posts a blind of $3.
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, CO (poster) calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, MP1 calls, CO calls, BB calls.

Flop: (16.33 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, CO folds, BB calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (11.16 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, BB calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 3-bets</font>, BB folds, Hero calls.

River: (18.16 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 20.16 BB
Old 06-10-2005, 01:29 AM

Default Re: Marginally interesting AA hand

It looks all right to me.

Unfortunately, after MP1 3-bets your turn checkraise and then the king falls on the river, I'd be pleasantly surprised if I actually took the pot.
Old 06-10-2005, 01:34 AM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">Svar på:</font><hr />

Unfortunately, after MP1 3-bets your turn checkraise and then the king falls on the river, I'd be pleasantly surprised if I actually took the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was going to play the river more aggressively until the K fell. The range of hands I put him on includes AA, KK, QQ, and AQ. There's one way to have AA, 3 ways to have QQ, 6 ways to have AQ, and 6 ways (until the river, which becomes 3) to have KK. Now that KK beats me, I'm only beating AQ and chopping with AA. I changed to a check-call.
Old 06-10-2005, 01:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was going to play the river more aggressively until the K fell. The range of hands I put him on includes AA, KK, QQ, and AQ. There's one way to have AA, 3 ways to have QQ, 6 ways to have AQ, and 6 ways (until the river, which becomes 3) to have KK. Now that KK beats me, I'm only beating AQ and chopping with AA. I changed to a check-call.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I think the king on the river is really troublesome.

I'm thinking that with QQ, Villain might raise the flop but might also wait. (The strength you showed preflop might encourage him to play fast, though.) With AQ, he might get scared by your turn checkraise (especially after all the strength you had shown previously) and slow down.

So I think we should weight KK and AA a little higher than the numbers might indicate (though Villain really shouldn't feel much more comfortable with KK than with AQ).

On the other hand, he could just be badly overplaying TT or something.
Old 06-10-2005, 02:23 AM

I don't like your flop and turn plan.

With BB hanging around, I want to raise that again on the flop to get another BB in the pot stat, so I don't put too many in on the later streets.

MP1's still got a pretty wide range of hands, but QQ is scary, so you don't wanna wait to screw around on that turn. Especially considering that BB is making every flop raise much more juicy.

I 3-bet the flop and bet out the turn, whether MP1 caps or just calls. I call down if he raises the turn.
Old 06-10-2005, 02:28 AM

I'd 3 bet the flop.
Old 06-10-2005, 02:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't like your flop and turn plan.

With BB hanging around, I want to raise that again on the flop to get another BB in the pot stat, so I don't put too many in on the later streets.

MP1's still got a pretty wide range of hands, but QQ is scary, so you don't wanna wait to screw around on that turn. Especially considering that BB is making every flop raise much more juicy.

I 3-bet the flop and bet out the turn, whether MP1 caps or just calls. I call down if he raises the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

My thinking is that a flop 3-bet and turn checkraise (and I think those are both valid plays) could both slow MP1 down if he has a worse hand.

Potentially, the turn checkraise could trap BB for more bets, though. Also, I don't think we're getting reliable information from MP1 no matter what we do (though I do also think the 3-bet of the turn checkraise is scary).

Anyway, though, Evan also advocates a flop 3-bet, and I'm hoping he'll give his reasoning.
Old 06-10-2005, 03:29 AM

Evan never gives reasoning. He leaves it to others to elaborate. Do you see why?
Old 06-10-2005, 03:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Evan never gives reasoning. He leaves it to others to elaborate. Do you see why?

[/ QUOTE ]

So no one can prove him wrong? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 06-10-2005, 04:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Evan never gives reasoning. He leaves it to others to elaborate.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would think that his reasoning is:

1. BB will probably call two cold anyway.
2. A scare card might come on the turn to kill the action.

Otherwise, it looks like a pretty good spot to check-raise the turn.