Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-29-2005, 02:02 PM

Default 400NL 6Max - Weak Top Pair Against a Possible Donk

This guy has min raised me almost every time I continuation bet him on the flop (either 4/4 or 4/5 times including this time).

Once I folded, once I made a substantial reraise and he folded, once I called with weak top pair, called a turn 1/2 pot and the river was checked down and MHIG.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 6 handed) converter

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

CO ($428.2)
<font color="#C00000">Hero ($681.35)</font>
<font color="#C00000">SB ($390.7)</font>
BB ($406.85)
UTG ($414.25)
MP ($44)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $2.
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $12</font>, SB (poster) calls $10, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: ($28) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $20</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to $40</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero ??</font>
Old 05-29-2005, 02:12 PM

Default Re: 400NL 6Max - Weak Top Pair Against a Possible Donk

Yikes, this is a troublesome situation. Your hand is likely to be best, but still too weak to be comfortable with. Given your history I think a semibluff push if he has a draw is quite likely, should you reraise. You probably can't call that. I'd call and hope for a safe turn card. If he bets weak then, I'd raise him. If he bets strong I'd probably call him. If one of the scary cards come I'd have to evaluate his reaction to them. This line would look a lot like a draw, so he has to consider that hero might have just made his hand. Depending on hius reaction all three options are possible.
Old 05-29-2005, 02:15 PM

How many times have you raised preflop? Is he calling all of your raises, or just a few of them?

What did he show down the time that YHWG?

If you just call his raise, will his turn action give you any new information about his hand?

Do you have any feel for what range of hands he'd call a reraise with on this flop?

What have you seen him showing down against other players?
Old 05-29-2005, 03:11 PM

I apologize, I neglected to put my full read down in my post. When people showed weakness, by only calling his flop bets or min raises, he showed, in most cases, a tendency to make continuation (1/2 to 2/3 pot) bets on the turn, and then if the opponent still showed weakness, larger pot sized bets on the river that were most often taking down pots. Because of this I didn't like a strict calldown. I wouldn't know where I stood as I faced larger and larger bets, and the board was draw heavy.

He was loose but passive preflop, 47/4 VP/PFR preflop, fairly passive preflop and seemed to do a fair amount of cold calling. As I said his aggression would pick up postflop, and it was working, so he was either good at picking his spots or was had been getting lucky so far (or both).

He hadn't gone to showdown frequently, not enough to really glean information. He was either taking down pots before showdown, showing down junk cheaply (once or twice) or getting all in with big paint hands preflop or on flop against players with 25BB stacks (once or twice).

The hand where MYWG, i had JT and flopped J78 in an unraised headsup pot, bet 6 into 8 and called a min raise, called 20 on the K turn and it got checked down on the river K (although he disconnected, so I dunno it he intended to bet. He was last to act so he could have checked and shown down, meaning it wouldn't be an intentional disconnect). He showed down T8 (2nd pair with a gutshot).

I was being decently aggressive preflop, especially in blind stealing positons, and he was calling loosely.

I did not have a good idea of what hands would call a reraise on this board. Since he was min raising almost every flop bet, I could only put him on a wide range. He was only been played back at with a reraise once or twice and he had folded.

If I just call the raise I feel he'd bet the turn 60-80% of the time.
Old 05-30-2005, 01:23 AM

If he keeps min raising you on the flop, an alternate strategy to do with these showdownable hands is to check the flop, and call his turn bet and river bet. That will slow him down from being a douchebag (as long as you end up winning the hand [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] ).
Old 06-09-2005, 12:46 AM

I min raised it back to 60, he called.

Turn K giving me top 2, he checked, I bet 100, he pushed, I called and he flipped over a set of sixes. Although I just got unlucky that he had a set, I hate my line. Thoughts?
Old 06-09-2005, 01:34 AM

I don't like the re-minraise, because it seems to me like most of the time when people minraise my continuation bets they caught some small piece of the flop. This time it was a set, but I bet he also would have raised you with something like A8. I'd either reraise something close to the pot or lay it down. This is a tough one.
Old 06-09-2005, 01:41 AM

what's the long discussion for? your near-infinate reverse implied odd makes this a very easy fold.
Old 06-09-2005, 02:06 AM

So what type of a hand are you going to wait for before you decide it's time to look up the guy that is raising you on *every* hand?
Old 06-09-2005, 03:47 AM

Exactly.

What do you think soah? I'd probably take a stand with K7 here. But, I tend to play too loose postflop so I'm trying to adjust.