Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2005, 02:20 PM

Default Raise now v. raise later v. don\'t raise at all.

Live 5-5 game that is 7-handed at the moment. ABC-ish player ($600) that I know well opens in EP for $20. His range is pretty much any pair 77+ and big cards all the way down to ATo-ish and KJs-ish. He obviously plays too many hands out of position. Anyway, I ($750) call on the button with 88. Buttons fold.

Flop: ($50) T76r. EP bets $35.

OK, I am ahead of his range of hands here... so what is the standard line? If I raise now he only calls me if I am losing. (Although there is a chance he puts me on a semi-bluff and calls with just overs). If I just call he will most likely peg me as drawing and fire again on the turn... but I am giving him a cheap chance to hit an overcard.

This might be super easy but I don't quite understand the nuances of raising in spots like this heads-up. I am investing a lot of money to shut my opponent out and am not getting value out of it since worse hands are rarely calling. Raising might make the rest of the hand easier to play though since I will not have to face a bigger bet on the turn/river and I could always take a free shot at what is at worst a 4-6 outer. Does it matter much either way?

Thanks in advance,
tpir
Old 06-09-2005, 02:44 PM

Default Re: Raise now v. raise later v. don\'t raise at all.

I play in a live 2/5/5 game where I have been facing the same dilemma for the past 2 weeks against players such as the one your describing...I think if your planning on playing this hand aggressively, the best way to do it is early in the hand b/c the more money they invest, the more likely they will call...But I wouldn't mind getting some more feedback from some more expereinced posters
Old 06-09-2005, 03:01 PM

I say raise now, to win it on the flop, or to get information and the initiative when you are behind. He either has you beat or he has overcards, and most of the time he has overcards. If overcards, you are vulnerable (6 outs + scare cards) and need to take the initiative away from him. If you call and any face card hits, you have a very hard decision on the turn if he bets at you again and may fold the best hand.

I also think it is important that against anything but TT, you have 6 outs against the hands that beat you right now. If he makes a big reraise you obviously fold, but if he calls with a better hand you can still catch him.
Old 06-09-2005, 03:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I also think it is important that against anything but TT, you have 6 outs against the hands that beat you right now. If he makes a big reraise you obviously fold, but if he calls with a better hand you can still catch him.

[/ QUOTE ]
This seems like reason to *not* raise. I don't want to get blown out of the pot. Is it really worth protecting against 6 outs?
Old 06-09-2005, 03:20 PM

Strong players will just call here.
Old 06-09-2005, 03:36 PM

I don't see the reasoning why raising would be bad here. You believe he quite likely didn't hit this flop, so a raise to take it from him makes sense. Raising to $85 should make him fold overcards (2.7-1 pot odds). If you win that raise 1 in 3 times you're profitting. If he only calls, he'll most likely check to you on the turn, giving you a free card if you still haven't made your hand (set or str8, str8's safer). If he reraises you, then you know where you are and can safely fold. If you were to just call here, he WOULD put you on a draw, and betting the pot on the turn, then what? I see a great argument for the raise here.
Old 06-09-2005, 06:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you were to just call here, he WOULD put you on a draw,

[/ QUOTE ]

look at the board

what draw?

45? 85? thats it.

edit