Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-07-2005, 11:31 PM

Default How to Double Up Off TJ Cloutier

I was watching on the history channel how McManus doubled up off TJ Cloutier by doing everything the opposite of what TJ recommended in the book having earlier told TJ how he memorized the book.

McManus raises from early position with AKo. TJ reraises from late position with A9o. According to the book, you can only reraise with KK or AA.

The flop comes rags. McManus check/calls. Another rag on the turn. Check/allin/call. The book says you should check/fold with AK if you don't make a pair.

Evidently TJ thought McManus would fall into all the recommended weak/tight traps and bluffed off most of his chips making McManus the tournament chip leader.
Old 06-08-2005, 02:27 PM

Default Re: How to Double Up Off TJ Cloutier

The recommendations from TJs book that you describe were for the early rounds of a tournament.

The situation you describe was late in the tournament, high blinds, and dramatically varying stack sizes at the table.

In other words, there was no inconsistency.
Old 06-08-2005, 03:00 PM

Regardless of what the real answer might be. I do like the idea of someone writing a book that promotes a strategy they'll be able to exploit because it creates a weak/tight player.
Old 06-08-2005, 03:11 PM

TJ very frequently does not use the advice that he gives in his book. I played in a 200 dollar event with a rebuy with him down in Aruba. Here are two plays he made with two tables left that I thought were awful.

Calls an all in re-raiser of his initial raise for a very significant portion of his chips with A 3 offsuit. He was in early position and the re-raiser was a rock (very apparent, had only played one hand in the last two tables - AA and TJ saw this).

Limps under the gun seven handed and then proceeds to call a raise for all of his chips with K J offsuit. This play was by far the worst I'd seen from any player at the final table. The raiser had A Q and TJ sucked out.

As far as I've seen, TJ is way overrated and can't really get it done in today's poker world. Just my oponion.

Peace

Goodie
Old 06-08-2005, 03:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]

As far as I've seen, TJ is way overrated and can't really get it done in today's poker world. Just my oponion.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hendon Mob

Yeah, that TJ sure has had some crappy results over the past year.
Old 06-08-2005, 04:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How to Double Up Off TJ Cloutier

[/ QUOTE ]

start a craps game on his front porch.
Old 06-08-2005, 04:05 PM

Look, TJ is a fine player who will continue to do quite well.
I am suspicious about some of the advice in his books. I think
as a start he wants his "students" to be weak-tight so they won't be clobbered early in tournaments. I think he feels that players should be tight first, and then loosen up as they get more experience.
Old 06-08-2005, 04:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
How to Double Up Off TJ Cloutier

[/ QUOTE ]

start a craps game on his front porch.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL
Old 06-08-2005, 05:00 PM

He plays every single damn event. I'm not saying that he's a bad player by any means, I think he's very solid and a very very good player. I believe that if I played every event for a year, that the results would be about the same as his, but I'm not a great player.

TJ being overrated just means that I don't think he's as good as people think, and a lot of people think he's one of the top five best in the world. I just don't think so.

Can you think of any reason to play the hands I mentioned the way he did? I would never make those plays, ever.

He made a play in the same tourney that was brilliant, so he clearly knows what he's doing. I just don't think he's one of the best.

Peace

Goodie
Old 06-08-2005, 06:04 PM

hes not nearly as good as most credit him for. hes a winning tournament player in most events these days because there are alot of fish, but put him at a table with 10 famous pros and hes probably #10 as far as talent is concerned.

jmho