Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2005, 03:16 AM

Default Flopped a flush. Did I play it right? Help!!!

Ultimate Bet $100 No-Limit Hold'em, $1 BB (10 handed)

Table: VP$IP = 19
PFR% = 4

SB ($38.80)
BB ($157.50)
UTG ($66.15)
UTG+1 ($47.90)
Hero ($115.90)
MP1 ($54.05)
MP2 ($68.70
MP3 ($88.80)
CO ($132.55)
Button ($52.55)

Hero is UTG+2 with 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Pre-flop: 1 fold, UTG+1 calls $1, Hero calls $1,
2 folds, MP3 calls $1, CO raises to $2, 1 fold, SB calls $2,
1 fold, UTG+1 calls $1, Hero calls $1, MP3 calls $1.

Flop$11) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (5 players)
SB checks, UTG+1 checks, Hero bets $16,
MP3 folds, CO calls $16, SB folds, UTG+1 folds.

Turn$43) 10[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 players)
Hero bets $45, CO calls $45.

River$133) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 players)
Hero checks, CO checks.

Final Pot: $133

Results in white below:
<font color="white"> Hero has 7s 5s Js As 2s: flush, ace high.
CO has 2c 2d: three of a kind.
$3 is raked from a pot of $133.
Hero wins $130 with flush, ace high.
</font>

I was wondering how most of you would have played this hand.
I'm not sure how my river play was. I originally checked to
minimize my losses, but then when i thought about it, I had
about $50 left, so if he had me beat I think he would surely
bet that after i checked (since the pot was so large), but I
was definitely calling if he DID make the bet.

I like to play these suited connectors from fairly EP
and don't know if this is correct. Please comment on this hand,
and I encourage ANY criticism and feedback.

Thanks.
Old 06-06-2005, 03:21 AM

Default Re: Flopped a flush. Did I play it right? Help!!!

when you check the river he always checks behind with the hands you beat and he always bets with the ones you don't.

fim
Old 06-06-2005, 05:14 AM

you cannot continue to call from early position with crap like 75s. You will get your ass handed to you. As for the rest of the hand...

Flop- You bet too much. A pot sized bet would be more appropriate, however your 1.6 bet was not too bad. On this flop you are either a big favorite or drawing dead. You want this bet to define your hand, but not risk more chips than neccessary to do so. For example, if the CO had raised all-in for a hundred more dollars would you have called that? Probably not unless the guys a maniac. In those situations you will have saved $5. In other words a $10 bet will do the same thing for you that a $16 dollar bet will without risking as many chips.

Turn - Looks good.

River - Fire them all. This guy has shown no strength whatsoever. It is very likely he is playing TP or something that finishes second to the flush.
Old 06-06-2005, 07:05 AM

Pre-flop is standard, on the flop I'd usually just pot it, no need to overbet unless the table has been really loose and someone is likely to call. Turn bet is good, it really puts your opponent to the test. If they want to draw to a big spade or a boat they're sure as hell gonna pay to do it. River is awful. Push this river. You'd push if all you had was the K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], right? So push this river. Fin.
Old 06-06-2005, 08:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
you cannot continue to call from early position with crap like 75s. You will get your ass handed to you.

[/ QUOTE ]

What do you mean?

First of all, table VPIP is a very tight 19%. Personally, I play more hands when the tabl is so tight.

Secondly -- and more importantly -- table PFR is 4%. What does this mean? Well, your implied odds go way up, because if someone does raise, and you both have deep enough stacks, he probably has a premium hand (if someone's raising 4% of hands, what are they raising?).

What would you think if it had been 76s?

-dB

EDIT: Note, I'm not saying here "ya, play 75s anywhere, go for it"... I'm just looking for some justification for this criticism that I hear so often. Also, if Hero is doing this sporadically -- 20% of the time? -- it's different than if every 75s is getting limped from any position.
Old 06-06-2005, 08:30 AM

If someone had the nutflush, he would prob just call after the flop and Hero will loose at least another pot-size bet. Why do you want to define your hand? I rather make a 1/2 pot size bet against tight weak players so worse hands will stay in the pot OR an overbet, just like Hero did, against loose aggressiv players, making them (hopefully) think that I'm bluffing or are trying to protect my TPTK or something.

EDIT: I mostly play 6 max, so that are definitely affecting my thoughts about this hand.
Old 06-06-2005, 08:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
you cannot continue to call from early position with crap like 75s. You will get your ass handed to you.

[/ QUOTE ]

What do you mean?

First of all, table VPIP is a very tight 19%. Personally, I play more hands when the tabl is so tight.

[/ QUOTE ]

I play a tight table a little more loosely (if I play it at all), but I loosen up only in position. 75s is OK for occasionally mixing it up, and definitely OK from CO or BTN, but from UTG+2 I'm going to muck *almost* every time.

I agree w/ others, OP loses value by checking the river. There are worse hands that will call your bet but would also check behind, and you lose out. Push the rest.
Old 06-06-2005, 08:34 AM

But now that you have your flush you must price out single-spade draws. If you only bet 1/2 pot you are giving good implied odds to a dry A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] or K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. You can get killed playing this slow.
Old 06-06-2005, 08:37 AM

True. If I make a 1/2 pot bet, I'm hoping for a reraise from an aggressiv player with top pair or better.
Old 06-06-2005, 12:09 PM

Ok, here's what i was thinking to justify my play:

Preflop:
The PFR% was only 4. I could limp alot or call min raises with these suited connectors... And when i hit, bust some kid limping with AA. (which is fairly common at these tables)

Flop:
I bet $16 at an $11 pot so no A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] would call me. I wanted to just take it down, or make As pay for it. I really wanted to protect my hand.

Turn: I figured here is where he would tell me if I'm beat or not. After I fire out $45 he's gotta know I have a hand. So i thought he might raise with a hand that has me beat, to get me all in on the turn, because if he knows I have a weak flush, a river spade will send me packing. When he cold called, I really didnt know where I stood. I had no real read on the player, he just joined the table.

River: Since he cold cold a monster bet on 4th, I checked to him on the river thinking that MAYBE if he had me beat, he'd only bet a portion of my remaining stack.

Thanks guys for the feedback.