Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-07-2005, 04:13 PM

Default PLO8 $25- Top set....My holdem is showing

What do we think about this? We each have about $22-$23

Hero is MP2 w/ K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Villian in this hand is MP1: Loose PF (Although not as loose as many at this level) Typically passive.

PF: Folded to villian who calls (.25), Hero Raises (1.10), Button Calls 1.10, folded to villian who calls 1.10

Flop ($3.65): K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Villian Checks, Hero bets ($3.65), Button folds, Villian Raises (~$11), Hero goes all in, Vilian calls

I know that in PLO8 we are supposed to be wary about situations like this with top set. However I really don't see a hand that he could have that puts mne in really bad shape. The worse thing I could think of was a hand containing 75.

Even if this was a skilled opponent I would have had trouble doing anything other than getting my money in.

The factors I considered:

1. The possible straight draws were pretty ragged. And I have a draw to a fullhouse anyway
2. No flush draws.
3. There is a low draw, but should I really have a problem putting money in against A2XX or A3XX. I guess a hand like A257 would be worrisome, but I can't imagine he would have been in a big hurry to get all his money in on the flop.

Any thoughts are appreciated.
Old 06-07-2005, 04:31 PM

Default Re: PLO8 $25- Top set....My holdem is showing

With a board this broken, he could possibly be going in with something like AA2x or AA3x. Or (if he's a real nutjob) just naked AA.

Or, since you raised preflop he might have A-low 86 and thinks he just ran down your aces.

Either way, with my very very limited PL knowledge (limit O8 player and all hold'em before that), I'd feel just fine about putting money in with top set in this situation. This is certainly a fairly friendly board for it.

--Polly
Old 06-07-2005, 04:44 PM

There are times to be worried about holding only top set, but this is not one of them. I would be more wary if the board was something like K24 with two to a suit. On this type of board you are going to have a lot of trouble with suited A-lows making a wheel or flush against you
Old 06-07-2005, 05:12 PM

I would put all my chips in every time on that flop.

PS. I wouldn't raise that hand preflop, it is not very strong.
Old 06-07-2005, 05:19 PM

You have a low draw yourself that might be good if an A or 2 comes, plus you have a backdoor flushdraw.

Yes it would be better if the 8 was a 9, but this is a push in my opinion.