Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-07-2005, 09:14 AM

Default short stacked blind defence with Q3o

$90 live MTT, blinds 500/1000/100, original stacks T5000, I have T4000 in BB before posting, 8-handed. 2nd position loose big stack raises to 3000. Folded to me. I push in 1000 more with Q3o. Villain had KJo and I lost.

I was betting 3000 to win 6300. I was putting up 32% of the money. In this case I had a 34% chance of winning. I am worse versus a Q, a big pair, or AK. I am only ahead versus a suited connector, which villain could be raising with.

I had decided ahead of time that I was pretty certain to defend my blind. However, Q3o is a pretty bad hand. Against KJo it has the same chance as 43o.

I am thinking that, even though calling was probably an even gamble, I would have been better off waiting for a better opportunity in the next 7 hands. Either I could get heads up with pot odds with a better hand by calling or pushing or maybe get a string hand. Of course I will be losing chips to the SB and antes each hand.