Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-2005, 01:03 PM

Default Pocket Aces. Did I play them well?

I was dealt pocket aces on the SB. Here is the hand. Any evaluation would be appreciated.

PokerStars 0.25/0.50 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls, MP2 calls, Button calls.

Flop: (8 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, Button folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB folds, MP2 calls.

Turn: (6 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 calls.

River: (8 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 folds.

Final Pot: 9 BB
Old 06-04-2005, 01:23 PM

Default Re: Pocket Aces. Did I play them well?

not bad, not great. river fold from MP2 seems weird on his part. might have semi-bluffed into you with a flush/straight draw that missed. if he had high pair with decent kicker (or even two pair) and called down the turn, don't see why he couldn't invest one last BB at the end.

I would have bet the flop with two flush cards and a possible gutshot nut straight, the risk of giving a free draw with two limpers and a cold caller is much higher than the EV of check-raising. the players at 25c/50c are poor enough to stay in with anything so you're not going to have much luck protecting your hand. just value bet all the streets.
Old 06-04-2005, 01:44 PM

Post in micro forum for better response,
Played Fine IMO.
Old 06-04-2005, 04:57 PM

i like betting out on the flop instead- it's sometimes hard to check-raise when you've raised preflop and an ace hits the board- i think you got lucky that someone bet instead of taking the free card that could've really hurt you. even three aces isn't good enough to slowplay into a large feild, and you probably would've won more money if you'd just bet out due to your relitive position, etc...

NH, though, arguments could be made to play this either way. if there wasn't a flush draw on board, a check-raise is definitly approiate, IMO.
Old 06-05-2005, 01:37 AM

I probably would've came out betting the flop rather than the c/r. Everything else looks good.