Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-05-2005, 07:24 PM

Default Starting stack, field size, strategy adjustments?

I played in WSOP Event #2 on Friday. I left wondering if I should have adjusted my play because of the small starting stack and large field.

Should you gamble a little more early in an event with this size field and a short starting stack?

I passed on two hands where I held a small pocket pair (fives once and sixes once) against an early raise. Both hands were in the $50-100 blind level and I was not getting the right price or implied odds on my opponents stack to call. I had both players covered ($1900 vs $1000) and they did not have enough chips to fold to a reraise.

Should I have gambled in those situations considering the size of the field?

Other comments about the event. I disagree with many who were impressed with the organization of the event. I pre-registered three days earlier and did have to wait in a long line that day to get my seat assignment. Then that assignment was incorrect and I had to consult a list on a door to find my correct assignment. Most of the staff seemed confused and did not have all the information they needed to do a good job. It seemed like the top-level organizers for the event were in over their heads.

I would expect things to improve in the coming weeks but it was shocking to me that large firm like Harrah's could not anticipate or coordinate such simple things like registrations lines, seat assignments, and of course bathroom requirements. They are in dire need of a competent Project Manager for this event and need to begin planning next year's WSOP immediately upon the conclusion of the Main Event.