Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-05-2005, 08:49 PM

Default Overcards as preflop raiser

typical situation on 6 player game :
2 limpers (both have vpip above 30 and pfr above 10)
i raise on button with say K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] and blinds fold. limpers call and flop comes :
#1) T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
#2) Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
#3) A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

After each flop the first limper bets out and 2nd limper folds. (8.5 small bets)

What is the best plan for the rest of each hand through the river, and would you agree that if the 1st limper was strong he would check raise the flop?
Old 06-05-2005, 09:09 PM

Default Re: Overcards as preflop raiser

Note: I play 1/2 and you probably need to vary your play at higher levels...

#1) T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
There aren't many draws out there that villain would semibluff with. You are probably up against a pair.
Call and fold turn unimproved

#2) Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Raise for a free card

#3) A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Against a passive non-tricky opponent, fold.
Against a tricky/unpredictable opponent
raise 50% of the time and lead the turn
fold 50% of the time
Old 06-05-2005, 09:32 PM

Default Re: Overcards as preflop raiser

You didn't describe his postflop play. I'll assume he's fairly normal.

#1 - Usually call and fold turn unimproved.

#2 - Usually call or raise for free card if I thought that would work.

#3 - Fold, nothing I could turn would make me happy. He took a big risk betting this flop into two players including a PFR. If this is a total bluff than congratulations to him.

[ QUOTE ]
and would you agree that if the 1st limper was strong he would check raise the flop?

[/ QUOTE ]
No, especially given the position of the third player.

It is important to realize that this is a 3-way pot. He gets much less credit for betting out heads up.