Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-01-2005, 05:14 AM

Default Drought playing MTT\'s...

Treading water for a month now. Cashing but never better than 5x the buyin which hasn't been paying the bills. I will admit that I had a great first 4 months of the year and have been playing higher buyin/larger field tourneys recently. Anyway I got frustrated and went back to 50+5 Sng's and Limit. Have been cashing 35% or so in Sng's but I am killing the limit games. 5/10 mostly 10 and 6 handed. Anyone else play MTT's only, hit a wall and then go back to limit and do very well?

Variance yadda-yadda etc aside...

But still I think I needed a breath of fresh air and the last few weeks at limit have done that. I am still playing a few MTT's weekly but I forget my roots so easily after the lure of tourneys got me hooked.

Curious how many of you still play limit and Sng's while maintaining a serious tourney schedule.

That's all.
Old 06-01-2005, 07:36 AM

Default Re: Drought playing MTT\'s...

i play around 400 sngs a week, as well as about 30 mtts. cmon, keep up [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] holla
Old 06-01-2005, 08:34 AM

I know exactly what you mean. I usually play 5 or 6 $150 buyin or greater a week. The last three weeks I have also hit a wall. I took a 2nd in a $100 buyin in early May and have not had only one 5+ the buyin since. Maybe this is not a long enough period of time to be considered hitting the wall but my recent success has spoiled me.

I only play MTTs. I don't do SnGs or ring games. I feel ring games are a grind. I don't have the time to grind it out. I usually play at night and the big MTTs are perfect.

Some people take a week or two off and do not play MTTs. They will go back to their "roots". I think playing just rings should be a good change and when you decide to tackle the MTTs again, you will be good and fresh.

The one thing I would not do is step down in the MTTs. They are softer but the play is so poor it is frustrating. I don't think it will help your pysche.

Good luck,

Mack
Old 06-01-2005, 08:56 AM

you scare me.

holler.
Old 06-01-2005, 09:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Some people take a week or two off and do not play MTTs. They will go back to their "roots". I think playing just rings should be a good change and when you decide to tackle the MTTs again, you will be good and fresh.

The one thing I would not do is step down in the MTTs. They are softer but the play is so poor it is frustrating. I don't think it will help your pysche.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. I played a 100+9 buy in today and missed the money by 2. Cash games I made 600+. I have another job so this is after 5 HST and is a "hobby". I think I need a break though in any case.

I am getting pale in Hawaii in the summer. Hmmm. Poker is fun and I have been profitable since I started playing but what a frustrating game it can be.

Thanks for your post.
Old 06-01-2005, 10:07 AM

I play 2-5 tournaments a day, but I continue playing the $50/$30 SnGs to supplement the droughts that happen in MTTs. There's no way I could exclusively play tournaments. I think it would get too discouraging when you're on a dry run.
Old 06-01-2005, 11:23 AM

To me playing an MTT is like cashing out from sng profits. I'll play the 20+2 tournaments 4 at a time and then use profits to play the MTT's where I have a decent success rate, then you get the big cash outs.
Its impossible to cash out sng wins because its so steady a profit that it feels silly to cash it out and risk going broke.