Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2005, 03:21 AM

Default SB v BB--when should BB 3-bet preflop?

A 5/10 SB with a typical wide range open raises. When should BB be reraising preflop? I'm hoping to hear some underlying concepts and not only a list of hands.

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-31-2005, 11:10 AM

Default Re: SB v BB--when should BB 3-bet preflop?

just a thought or two........

seems to me that the wider the range the SB will raise with the proper the adjustment would be to increase the hands we will three bet with. especially when we figure to be better postflop and have posistion.

I don't really have a preset range of hands, but more go on feel for what the SB's frequency is.

Maybe a generic example: we think the typical SB will openraise any A... wouldn't an easily proper adjustment be to 3bet something like A7o+ as SOP... unless SB has proven to be real selective. I'd stongly consider 3betting any 2 that = 20. I'd 3bet just about any pocket pair.
Old 05-31-2005, 11:54 AM

I am much more likely to threebet a hand that I want to showdown like an ace high, or PP. I would rather take advantage of my position, and the auto bet by the SB with a solid top pair hand with no showdown value like J10 by just calling.
Old 05-31-2005, 01:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am much more likely to threebet a hand that I want to showdown like an ace high, or PP. I would rather take advantage of my position, and the auto bet by the SB with a solid top pair hand with no showdown value like J10 by just calling.

[/ QUOTE ]

that's a good point. JT is obviously the lowest combo in the range i suggested. My suggested range was meant to be fairly general for the sake of thought.

Using your position makes sense. However, I'd like you to think about this:

When the flop misses you both (isn't it about a third of the time) and you hold say QTo and he has something like 97s.

Who is more likely to take the pot down?- the person who put in the last raise pf and maintains the lead...(IMO)

by you just calling, you could be setting youself up to fold too easily postflop.
Old 05-31-2005, 02:07 PM

It depends not only on the SB's range but also how tricky/aggressive he is postflop. If he will call you down with most hands, you only want to 3-bet hands with showdown value (Aces, PPs, maybe big Kings?). If he will fold to raises and bets, maybe you can 3-bet more hands. It also depends on how much you've been going HU with him, I suppose. If you've been calling a lot, 3-betting may seem scarier. Or maybe calling and then raising postflop makes it seem like your hand hit the flop. I think there are a lot of metagame considerations here that need to be taken into account, as well as how you plan to play it postflop.
Old 06-01-2005, 05:10 AM

Just saw this post.

Contrary to some of the advice below, I think it's probably quite important to 3-bet some percentage of the time against thinking LAG oppoenents with less-than-premium holdings.

The main reason why has to do with initiative. If you have say Q2s and your opponent has T9o, you're going to lose a certain percentage of the time when the flop comes scary like AKx or KJx when you actually have the best hand. So to balance the scales, you sometimes would want to 3-bet with T9o when your opponent has Q2s such that he's the one making the incorrect folds.

It's also important to be a little bit unreadable against these LAGs. Many of them read hands pretty decently and if you're only 3-betting with big cards then they won't call down or play back at you as much when you flop well, which means you're not exploting the flaw that probably renders them into losing players.

To reiterate, my basic strategy is to almost always 3-bet with strong hands (including any ace and any pocket pair) and to also 3-bet some percentage of the time with hands that don't have a lot of showdown value. My guess is that a ratio of about 2.5:1 in terms of showdownable versus non-showdownable hands is about right in terms of making it hard for your opponent to play well against you postflop.
Old 06-01-2005, 05:16 AM

good post.