Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2005, 10:27 PM

Default Do sunglasses/Ipod automatically make someone a douche? (B&M x-post)

Hey fellas,

I'm going to Vegas for a week and a half. First weekend is going to be hanging out with friends. Second week is going to be a bunch of 15-30 to 40/80, largely by myself.

Well, being a primarily online player has made me borderline ADD. I can't pull the long sessions I used to be able to when I played more live. Also, I'm somewhat light-sensitive.

So, if I bust out my Ipod, which I think I'll be using partly to avoid conversation from mid-day locals, and occassionally wear shades... well, I guess the answer's kind of rhetorical: of course I'll look like a douche. Which begs the more important question: should I care?

If I'm comfortable I can play longer, better, and have a more enjoyable time. I can easily pay attention to/hear what's occurring at the table, and I can remove both items whenever I choose to. Hell, I might even benefit from a wanna be WPT image.

Thoughts?

Dan
Old 05-31-2005, 10:31 PM

Default Re: Do sunglasses/Ipod automatically make someone a douche? (B&M x-pos

youll definitely better from the wpt image, but dont wear sunglasses. its bad for the game. as for your ipod, i dont see why people think youre a douche for having one. they are very practical. when i play b&m poker i also use my mp3 player because it makes my experience more enjoyable, not because im there to look cool.
Old 05-31-2005, 10:38 PM

Curious- Why are sunglasses bad for the game?
Old 05-31-2005, 10:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with MBD... it creates an air of seriousness, which can be bad. IMO, this is worse [more detrimental] in the 4/8 to 10/20 games than the 20/40 to 40/80 that I play now. However, when I did play those limits, I wore neither shades nor Ipod.

The one time I ever tried shades was in a 20/40... I actually had them off during play, and occassionally popped them on after I had folded... I was planning a long session, and the lights at Bay 101 bother me sometimes.

Dan
Old 05-31-2005, 11:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The general consesus seems to be that sunglasses and hooded sweatshirts and anything that make you seem more serious/imposing are bad for the game because it kills the loose, fun, gambling atmosphere and prompts people to play better against you (even if that's just folding a few extra trash hands, etc).

Per the Ipod I don't think you should worry about what people think about you or whether you look like a douche. However, as a non-ipod wearer it can irritating when ipod-wearers are constantly having to ask what the action is or forgetting to post or acting out of turn, etc because they can't hear the dealer or their opponents. I'd say just wear one earphone or keep the volume low. JMO.
Old 05-31-2005, 11:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd say just wear one earphone andkeep the volume low.

[/ QUOTE ]

With a bit of practise, you can learn to listen to different things with each ear, allowing you the best of both worlds.
Old 06-01-2005, 03:18 AM

nothing wrong with either one. if you feel comfortable with sunglasses more power to you brutha. i listened to my mp3 player at the table because i am also an online player. it's TOUGH to sit there and be patient, so listening to music kept me interested and kept my mind busy. i would mix it up with both headphones on and just one.

as for the ipod wearing mofo that constantly has to ask where the action is, just look at the table, who has cards in front of them? where is the button? who has chips in front of them? it's very easy to figure out where the action is, so that person was obv a donk!
Old 06-01-2005, 06:13 AM

Dan, are you Daisuke's friend Dan? Have we played together live?
Old 06-01-2005, 06:41 AM

Dunno about make you one, but you certainly would look like one [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-01-2005, 06:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Dunno about make you one, but you certainly would look like one [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I did put a smiley on the end of this but it disappeared, so take this as friendly!