Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2005, 12:44 PM

Default Semi-shortstacked ATo from the SB.

CO is a really terrible player. Has already called all-in bets with KTs (against a LRR for 12xBB). Will call down with top pair postflop and will play almost any two preflop. Raises good hands preflop. Will fold complete trash here (like 94o and 73o) but will call with most suited cards, with any Ace, and probably any King. BB here is fairly reasonable.

Is it too early to be considering this, given that I'll be the BB next hand, and we've still got a while left to go in the tournament with me having 10xBB? This is a Stars $5 buyin 3-table tourney.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t100 (6 handed) converter

Hero (t1125)
BB (t1710)
UTG (t1435)
MP (t1090)
CO (t7015)
Button (t3115)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, CO calls t100, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t1125</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls t1025.

Flop: (t2350) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Turn: (t2350) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

River: (t2350) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: t2350
Old 05-31-2005, 12:51 PM

Default Re: Semi-shortstacked ATo from the SB.

If I were the big blind I would take a free flop assuming small
blind had folded. However in this spot raising is mandatory to
knock out big blind. Against an idiot AT ought to win around
60 to 70 percent with his hand ranges.

Bruce
Old 05-31-2005, 12:57 PM

Default Re: Semi-shortstacked ATo from the SB.

Looks completely reasonable. You can limp or push. You're obviously not going to fold and making a normal raise pot commits you. You have enough folding equity that he should fold trash. And if he calls with a weak ace or something like suited connectors you're a favorite. You might get drawn out on, but at this point you really need to build your stack so I'd risk it for the opportunity to double up. Plus, you'd like to isolate against him and get the BB out of the hand.