Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-30-2005, 09:43 PM

Default Hand #2: Weak 2nd pair, weakly played (?).

Opponent in this one is a TAG as well, but had no other reads. I think maybe call-call-call would have been best. Or raising the turn as a bluff [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].

Hated this hand, felt I really blew it. Hell, he could have 54o. Just really sensed I was beaten at the time.

Party Poker 10/20 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) converter

Preflop: "Hero" is MP with 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">"Hero" raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (4.50 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">"Hero" raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, "Hero" calls.

Turn: (5.25 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, "Hero" folds.

Final Pot: 6.25 BB
Old 05-30-2005, 09:54 PM

Default Re: Hand #2: Weak 2nd pair, weakly played (?).

I think you played this one fine. If he was a tag he is less likely to threebet semibluff as it doesnt look like your folding. I think adjusting your play to your opponents style is crucial in this game. Vs an unknown I would raise this turn and take a free showdown.
Old 05-30-2005, 10:01 PM

Grisgra, when I have a pair that is higher than both bottom and middle pair on the board, I like call/call/call and betting when checked to. Especially when the top card is a bluffable card like a king. This ensures he doesn't fold a weaker pair that he has 5 outs with and continues to bluff if he is doing so. This is especially true if you are unable to fold to a flop 3bet, as was the case here.
Old 05-31-2005, 12:15 PM

He's not folding to a turn raise. You played it right.