Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-30-2005, 09:28 PM

Default QQ against one moron w/ 3rd suit hits the turn

This hand happened about a week ago, so I don't remember the details to the letter, but that's ok, the jist of it remains intact. I get QQ UTG+1, raise 2 people cold call, BB calls. flop is rags, but two spades. I bet out and only MP calls, the rest fold. The guy that called seemed really loose and was down on his luck because he looked quite solemn and threw the chips in half-heartedly.

turn card I didn't like. It was a spade(but not an overcard to my QQ). I said screw it, if he hit his flush, he'll raise. I bet out. He sat there thinking in agony for a bit, and called. turn was a blank, I bet out, he mucked.

Now, the question I have is what's the proper play when a 3rd suited card hits the board, is it wise to check and call or bet out and fold if the dude raises?

I think on the river I'm much more inclined to just check and call, but on the turn to bet out.
Old 05-30-2005, 10:05 PM

Location: \"Let me make it nearly unanimous -- misplayed on every street.\"
Default Re: QQ against one moron w/ 3rd suit hits the turn

Bet and bet the river.

You have described a calling station, and he needs a lot less than a flush draw to chase. It would be a shame to not put a bet in on the turn when all he has is a pair draw, gutshot, single card of the trump, ect, ect, ect.

As for all of your questions they can best be summed up as "it depends". There are no general answers.

BTW I assume this is live play, and your opponent is not an actor, and likely has higher than the third grade education that you alluded to.
Old 05-30-2005, 10:27 PM

do you have a spade? i suppose that might make checking less bad... but given the description, IMHO checking is pretty terrible. a lot of guys will call that flop with overcards, especially guys that open call two cold in MP. You can not be scared of every three flush turn, especially heads up. If you do, you´re gonna end up losing a lot of value bets, as well as entire pots to free trash draws.
Old 05-30-2005, 10:36 PM

yes, i almost forgot to mention, one of my queenies was, indeed, a spade and this was on a 10-20 table.

This is my 3rd time playing at the 10-20 tables. I'm suprised by some of the caliber of opponents. Granted, I've seen some tough customers, but more often than not, I've seen players who play about as bad as many of the 3-6 players. (One lady cold-called a PF raise with 2-7s!!)

I will admit, I'm a bit tighter, especially in EP, but so far I've made some good plays, and of course, I've made a few boneheaded plays. But, fortunately, the bonehead plays are few and far between. (worst play was defending my blind with utter crap. why? I guess I thought the guy was trying to steal it and my ego got the best of me)