Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2005, 01:41 PM

Default the donk bet is my biggest weakness

I can't stand donkbets. they confuse me because I assume anyone with a good hand would C/R me -- and these aren't good players looking to bet 3-bet me. It's usually the donk who sits down with $163.

What hand ranges do you put a player like this on after his flop bet? Should I fold flop, peel one off?

Villian's stats are 43/12/1.9 over a couple hundred. He's very unremarkable.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP with J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: (5 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>,
Old 08-10-2005, 01:42 PM

Default Re: the donk bet is my biggest weakness

and because public humilation is cause for change... here's the whole hand. i know to fold the turn, it's just frustration from being completely owned by a bad player..

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP with J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: (5 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (3.50 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, Hero calls.

River: (7.50 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 9.50 BB

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
SB has Kc Jc (two pair, kings and jacks).
Hero has Js Qc (one pair, jacks).
Outcome: SB wins 9.50 BB. </font>
Old 08-10-2005, 01:45 PM

I fold here, because to be honest I find these bets are top pair the majority of the time now when I play a 5/10 table. Maybe it's just me, but if I had 2 overcards to that flop I peel every time and fold the turn UI, if I have 2 undercards even with all the backdoor draws, if you do have the best hand it likely costs too much to take it to showdown, and the pot's too small even with your backdoor outs I think to take one off.
Old 08-10-2005, 03:03 PM

Don't feel bad. I do stupid [censored] like this occasionally too. I'd guess almost all good players play like a total donk one hand in a thousand, the key is just minimizing those times.

In this hand, I'd fold the flop reminding myself that often I'd have a bigger piece of the flop and be punishing the donk bettor.

ZZZ
Old 08-10-2005, 03:05 PM

I generally just fold. This is not because I think he/she has top pair. It is usually bottom pair or a draw of some sort, but that leaves me with 4-6 outs in general, and a 5SB pot here isn't worth it.

Of course, if you make this a habit, the donks will catch on, so be sure to mix up your play.
Old 08-10-2005, 03:36 PM

I fold the flop. You missed. You don't have much of a drawing hand, even if the donk bet is 2 undercards with a flush draw you are not ahead by THAT much. Theres no shame in folding this.
Old 08-10-2005, 06:33 PM

Your turn raise is kind of useless I think. What was your thinking behind it?

Nigel
Old 08-10-2005, 07:00 PM

you mean my turn bet?

i dunno, why not bet.. if i think i have the best hand?
Old 08-10-2005, 07:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What hand ranges do you put a player like this on after his flop bet?

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't put them on anything. Actually, I can put them on EVERYTHING, which is no help [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

I have to admit that I probably get screwed exactly like you did. I call the flop because he may have nothing, he may be on a flush draw, I have backdoors...

Then he checks the turn: sweet, he was on a flush draw, so I bet and get raised. WTF? I have to call and see.

We prolly have to fold the flop. I don't think they donk-bet with absolutely nothing often enough. If we put them on either a draw or any pair, then I don't think our equity looks good.