Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-27-2005, 04:14 AM

Default Flopped trip aces...should I call down?

No real reads on either villian, except that both had VPIP's >50 over about 2 orbits. Comments are included for each street detailing my thought process...please feel free to correct it wherever I'm being a nitty fish.

Party Poker 10/20 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is CO with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls, BB calls.

Utterly standard steal attempt against two players likely to defend with far worse hands.

Flop: (6 SB) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls, SB folds.

Well that was unexpected. I figure that BB could have a small PP, a hearts draw, paired the 8, or just be stone bluffing. But there's also the chance that he has the case A with a better kicker...ah, the joys of blind steal situations. I decide to just call, hoping for an overcall from SB and planning to raise a safe turn...

Turn: (4 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

...but there's no safe turn coming. Now I have a problem; the J helps somewhat on the kicker problem, but I could be trailing a flush. So I figure that if I raise I either get 3-bet by a made flush/the case A (or something really weird like 88), or he folds his bluff attempt. Seems like the smart thing to do is just call...?

River: (6 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Kicker is now unlikely to matter, unless he paired his. I still have to worry about a flush, though; again, it didn't seem to make any sense to raise as it's very unlikely that I'd be called by a worse hand...right?

Final Pot: 8 BB
<font color="#009B00">Main Pot: 8 BB, between Hero and BB.</font>

Is my thinking sound, or am I looking for excuses to miss bets?
Old 05-27-2005, 04:29 AM

Default Re: Flopped trip aces...should I call down?

I don't know the 10/20 at all, but it seems all right to me.
Old 05-27-2005, 05:01 AM

I think it's fine.

Good to have you back with us bottom feeders.
Old 05-27-2005, 05:12 AM

assuming a sensible opponent (and it looks as if you are)it seems like most hands that are beating you on this flop are reraising your steal. you dont really want an overcall here because it doesnt give you information and there's a sensible draw on the table. raising the flop would be expected from the pf raiser and doesnt immediately give away that you have the ace. both plays seem sensible, but i feel like the "raise the safe turn" plan is making you 0 money against a bluff and putting you in a difficult situation on an expensive street if he 3 bets since you feel compelled to call and hope for a boat or high card on the river.
as the turn went, i feel like the calldown is in order.
Old 05-27-2005, 05:57 AM

I think you have to raise that flop. That will help you find out where you are. He might be beating you with a better ace, but as someone already stated u are most likely going to be 3 bet preflop with a better ace. With VPIP&gt;50, these boys seem nice and fishy

Pots
Old 05-27-2005, 06:37 AM

I've seen your name at the 10/20 game.. how do you like it?

I play 5/10 6-max mostly but I enjoy playing the full 10/20 on Party sometimes.

It's easier to handle the money at 10/20 than 15/30.
Old 05-27-2005, 07:08 AM

I like it.
Old 05-27-2005, 12:10 PM

Excellent point here about most better aces 3-betting preflop. I think I was too quick to adopt the "way ahead, way behind" line on this one.

Anyway, it turned out that I played this one right (maybe); BB showed 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] and MHIG. In hindsight it would seem like he folds if I raise at any point in the hand, but on the other hand, if he's going to bluff at every street with a hand like that, he might well have 3-bet me (and I'm obviously not folding at any point here).
Old 05-27-2005, 12:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've seen your name at the 10/20 game.. how do you like it?

I play 5/10 6-max mostly but I enjoy playing the full 10/20 on Party sometimes.

It's easier to handle the money at 10/20 than 15/30.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm still undecided on 10/20. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

May has been a terrible month for me, and it's going to take a monumental upswing over the last couple days here for me to finish the month in the green. I feel like I can beat 10/20 and that variance is just catching up to me in a big way, but since I'm still new to the level I'm not really sure.

Generally speaking, the level of competition at 10/20 doesn't seem a whole lot better than 5/10. But it's hard to judge when you're running this poorly.
Old 05-27-2005, 12:18 PM

Harv,

So does that mean the 15/30 didn't go too well? I was curious as to how you would make out there. I thought you might be able to stay.

Chief