Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-27-2005, 02:09 AM

Default BB defense hand...K4o

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">8 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (4 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls.

Turn: (4 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls.

River: (6 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls.

Final Pot: 8 BB

Okay, well this hand got easier when I hit the gutshot on the turn. But I am confused on this hand. Preflop...calling seems right. I'm too strong to fold and I'm not worth a raise. Okay.

Flop...I have a gutshot, one overcard, and the possibility of pairing 4s. I estimate that I have 7.5-8 outs here, and I may have the best hand some of the time. So flop raise is good? If I am 3-bet on the flop, do I call and fold on the turn UI? What do I do if I spike a 4 on the turn?

Turn...Okay, now let's imagine that I don't hit the 5. Let's say the turn was the J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] instead. Do I bet here? If I am raised, how many outs do I give myself? It looks like I will have to fold here. What about checking behind and calling a river bet? I think checking behind and then folding to a river bet UI is bad. I am inclined to think that I want to check behind and call a river bet UI because (a) I have outs that I'd like to draw to, and it'll be really thin to if I get check-raised, and (b) there's a good chance I am the one who needs the free card here.

As the cards actually played out, the turn bet was easy. If my river bet had been check-raised, would you just call or 3-bet? (It probably depends on the donkishness of your opponent, but suppose you are without a read.)

Hope all the hypothetical scenarios don't make my questions too confusing...I have to admit that this is the kind of hand where I am flailing about in the dark all the time. I hope that discussing this hand would be worthwhile to many others as well, as blind defense is a tricky subject.
Old 05-27-2005, 10:58 AM

Default shameless bump

bump bump bump
Old 05-27-2005, 11:14 AM

Default Re: BB defense hand...K4o

Pre-flop call = good
flop raise = excellent
turn bet (if you don't improve) - depends on your opponent. If against a TAG - bet. If against a calling station - check behind for free card.
River (assuming King high)- I think you have to check behind or fold to a bet UI here (if you bet the turn). If you checked the turn and no danger cards fall on river - you can bet if checked to (assuming not against calling station) - if bet into, you should prolly fold.
Old 05-27-2005, 11:43 AM

Default Re: BB defense hand...K4o

I like the flop raise. I'd probably follow that up with a turn bet here most of the time, unless SB is a calling station. Doubtful that he is though, since he tried to steal our big blind. Hopefully you pick up the pot on the turn, but if not I'm checking behind UI on the river.

If he checkraises the turn on one of our non outs, I'd call but I wouldnt like it. Obviously you'd fold the river unless you spiked a five or king.

If he raised this particular river, I'd 3bet in most circumstances. If he hit a flush on the turn he'd likely checkraise then. That ten doesnt help any hand that didnt already have us beat on the turn.