Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-2005, 07:15 PM

Default Who\'s afraid of Cat Hulbert?

This is Cat Hulbert. I work in publishing and Book Expo America was in NYC this weekend. I ditched the office for the afternoon and headed into Manhattan to check it out. Among the thousands of new titles being offered in the coming fall, there was Annie Duke's book. It's not a strategy guide from what I can tell - more an autobiography of some sort... Anyway, I saw a big display at the expo for a poker strategy guide for women by Cat Hulbert, dubbed "the best female gambler in the world" by Game Show Network. I went over to check it out and she had a table set up where you could play hold 'em against other book geeks. I sat down for a few minutes to listen to her explain what we were doing wrong and how to play better, etc. The funniest part was that within two minutes, a WPT wannabe douche sat down next to me and started shuffling his chips and raising and capping every pot. I looked like a real donk hitting two pair with my 78o after calling three from the BB, and then a cap from UTG raiser... Anyway, the whole experience led me to two vital questions - who the [censored] is Cat Hulbert and why has she written a book on poker?
Old 06-04-2005, 07:16 PM

Default Re: Who\'s afraid of Cat Hulbert?

I know someone who was at this expo who got the general impression that she wasn't especially good (or at least not a good teacher), at least based on some of the advice she was giving.
Old 06-04-2005, 07:28 PM

Default Re: Who\'s afraid of Cat Hulbert?

Also see this web page. She was on a Travel Channel poker show recently and my reaction was also "who?"

Of course I don't expect to recognize every poker pro, but the show also included an interview with some other random player: name of Sklansky, I think. He looked familiar.