Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2005, 11:59 PM

Default I was a bit lost here...

I didn't have a lot of hands with UTG1 here but he was definitely loose.

Basically I'm just looking for a default line here.

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: (5.50 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 caps</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (6.75 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, Hero checks.

River: (6.75 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 8.75 BB
Old 05-26-2005, 12:14 AM

Default Re: I was a bit lost here...

I don't really like the flop 3-bet.

I'd likely just call the flop check-raise to encourage him to bet into me on the turn. I want one bet going in on each street, and if he's doing the betting I can guarantee that.

I don't want to let free cards come off, nor do I want to put multiple bets in.
Old 05-26-2005, 12:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

My thought was that most people don't raise flopped trips and I thought he was putting a move on me because it was heads up.

You're saying the best line here is call/call/call and bet if checked to? Sort of a WAWB play?
Old 05-26-2005, 12:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

My thought was that most people don't raise flopped trips and I thought he was putting a move on me because it was heads up.

You're saying the best line here is call/call/call and bet if checked to? Sort of a WAWB play?

[/ QUOTE ]

The diamond draw out there makes the way ahead/way behind deal a little more dicey, but yeah.

If you think he's aggressive enough to cap the flop with a draw I don't dislike it as much, but most players don't fit that bill.

Although, if you DO think he's one of these players, checking the turn through is even worse. (I don't run into the cap/check-raise line very much, but unless he's a super-lag I don't see him making that play without at least a King.)
Old 05-26-2005, 12:34 AM

By the looks of it, I would think he might be pumping the flush draw, he may have a king as well but either way you are far ahead or far behind so I think maybe just call the 3-bet and bet the turn.
Old 05-26-2005, 12:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I'd likely just call the flop check-raise to encourage him to bet into me on the turn. I want one bet going in on each street, and if he's doing the betting I can guarantee that.

I don't want to let free cards come off, nor do I want to put multiple bets in.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been playing for about 5000 hands and I've improved from tight &amp; timid to fairly good at preflop selection. However, one thing I've noticed is a shift toward being less able to call and to know when calling is the right play. From too tight to too aggressive, I too often think in terms of "fold or raise" not "fold, call, or raise".

I think it's harder to cure than learning to play better pre-flop, because it requires the ability to calculate odds, putting opponents on hands, and general experience in different situations.

5000 hands sounds like a lot to me, but I'm realizing it's just a drop in the bucket.
Old 05-26-2005, 04:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
If, by chance, he is "putting a move" on you, let him. If you're ahead, there are only 3 cards (aces) in the deck that can hurt you. I agree 100% with cold_cash, get one bet in on every street after he check raises the flop. Getting people to fold is not always good.

This isn't really exactly like your hand, but I played against a 2+2er at 6max today - he raised in MP with KQ, I 3-bet JJ from the button. Flop was like 952r, he check called. Turn was a K, he check raised and I folded. He got me to fold a hand that would willingly call a bet on a blank river. He also would have been 3-bet be AK and KK. I had 2 (to a set) or 3 (with AQ) outs, and he missed out on bets by getting me to fold or allowing me to 3-bet my better hands.
Old 05-26-2005, 04:43 AM

*grunching

I wouldn't be surprised if villain had QJ [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] or some other combination of diamonds.

He was checkraising on the flop for a free card. That said, I don't know if he would have fired another semi bluff on the turn if you called his check raise as opposed to 3 betting
Old 05-26-2005, 04:46 AM

I would probably just call down from the check-raise. I think you're way ahead of an 8, or way behind a king.
If he checks to you again, bet.