Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2005, 04:33 PM

Default Getting crushed at .50/$1

I'm teaching a friend of mine to play poker and have been playing a lot of .50/1 recently. I'm trying to help him slowly move up the limits. Anyway...

I usually play 5/10, mostly 6max, and I feel like the .50/1 games are much more difficult. It's not that I'm getting a lot of bad beats or anything like that, it's just that in 5/10 people pay attention to aggression and raises and check-raises and position and what not. It seems that most people will check/call their top pair, or hang on for that flush till the river, when it comes it's so hard to put them on a hand because they haven't show any indication that this is what they're playing.

Does anyone have any tips for adjusting to a more passive limit?
Old 05-23-2005, 04:35 PM

Default Re: Getting crushed at .50/$1

[ QUOTE ]
I'm teaching a friend of mine to play poker and have been playing a lot of .50/1 recently. I'm trying to help him slowly move up the limits. Anyway...

I usually play 5/10, mostly 6max, and I feel like the .50/1 games are much more difficult. It's not that I'm getting a lot of bad beats or anything like that, it's just that in 5/10 people pay attention to aggression and raises and check-raises and position and what not. It seems that most people will check/call their top pair, or hang on for that flush till the river, when it comes it's so hard to put them on a hand because they haven't show any indication that this is what they're playing.

Does anyone have any tips for adjusting to a more passive limit?

[/ QUOTE ]

Give it time, if youre beating 5/10 you can definitely beat .50/1
Old 05-23-2005, 04:40 PM

Why is my BS detector going off?
Old 05-23-2005, 04:41 PM

Play the cards in .50/1. People will call you with all sorts of dodgy stuff. Also dont loosen up - play as tight as you do at 5/10 and im sure youd walk all over the inexperienced players you will meet.
Old 05-23-2005, 04:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why is my BS detector going off?

[/ QUOTE ]

well said
Old 05-23-2005, 04:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm teaching a friend of mine to play poker and have been playing a lot of .50/1 recently. I'm trying to help him slowly move up the limits. [...] I usually play 5/10, mostly 6max, and I feel like the .50/1 games are much more difficult

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously, just have him play 5/10 with you instead. 0.5/1 is a horrible crapshoot where people will river you with the most ridiculous holdings, and there isn't much you can do about it. You might as well get him started at a limit where people actually play real poker, and good players with good strategy actually have a chance to win.
Old 05-23-2005, 05:10 PM

here

have trouble being your a 5/10 player...?
Old 05-23-2005, 05:10 PM

If you need help with .50/1.00 you've come to the right place, read the forum, read ssh and study hard. You'll get to 5/10 soon enough.
Old 05-23-2005, 05:11 PM

Honestly, it's happened to me too. I've been playing alot of 2/4 recently and dropped down to .25/.5 to play with a friend who's working his way up, and I had a very hard time re-adjusting to the play. It takes a much different strategy, IMO, to beat the micros than it does the higher limits against (slightly more) thinking players.

Playing the .25/.5 you really have to treat you opponents as almost random, and play strictly according to the math. As you move up in limits, you'll see that pots you're in end up being 2-3 handed, and stealing/re-stealing becomes very important, but in the mircos you're probably going to be seeing a flop with as many as 6-7 opponents. You really need to just get value out of your good hands.
Old 05-23-2005, 05:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you need help with .50/1.00 you've come to the right place, read the forum, read ssh and study hard. You'll get to 5/10 soon enough.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now I see why my BS detector went off. LOL! At least I know it's not defective.