Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2005, 05:36 PM

Default ATTN SSNL posters

The Theory of Poker

if you're posting without having read this book or at least having a firm grasp of what it talks about, you are cluttering the hell out of this forum. reading this book will make you a better player (this applies to at least 90% of us) as well as help you to make positive contributions to discussions. it is worth every penny and then some, buy it today.
Old 05-23-2005, 05:54 PM

Default Re: ATTN SSNL posters

I think its a minority rather than the majority.

some people just can't be bothered to read.
Old 05-23-2005, 06:15 PM

what i meant was 90% of the people who havent read it will benefit significantly.
Old 05-23-2005, 06:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The Theory of Poker

if you're posting without having read this book or at least having a firm grasp of what it talks about, you are cluttering the hell out of this forum. reading this book will make you a better player (this applies to at least 90% of us) as well as help you to make positive contributions to discussions. it is worth every penny and then some, buy it today.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 05-23-2005, 06:55 PM

hey guys, beginner here and have a quick question about the book. I have heard/been told that reading it in the beginning stages isn't the most beneficial because the concepts are things you can't understand yet and you can't really put the theories to use. Any comments on this?
Old 05-23-2005, 06:59 PM

It can be learned at many levels.
Read it once and then put it aside for a bit.

Come back to it later and you will learn new things.

TOP is not a once-only read.

Even simple concepts there can save you a lot of money. For example:

"Never bet on the river if the only hand that will call you is one that has you beat."

Kinda obvious - no? But until you see it in a book you don't think about it.
Old 05-23-2005, 06:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The Theory of Poker

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been putting it off until i have enough FPP at Stars to buy it, as there isn't much else in that store i'd put any value on. maybe it's time to nut up and buy it, and use the points for a satellite or something.
Old 05-23-2005, 07:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
hey guys, beginner here and have a quick question about the book. I have heard/been told that reading it in the beginning stages isn't the most beneficial because the concepts are things you can't understand yet and you can't really put the theories to use. Any comments on this?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think if you've played much at all, reading the book will be benificial. Even reading the introduction where he explains the Fundamental Theorom of Poker can dramatically affect how a new player views what happens at the tables.
Old 05-23-2005, 07:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i think it's a GREAT book for beginners actually. more experienced players tend to have slowly learned poker theory and understand it intuitively (if they are smart, winning players that is). if you can gain a fundamental understanding of winning poker without a lot of experience and think "visually" (as opposed to just intuitively) about it you will not only make better decisions you will also be better at analysing your own play and the play of others.

if there are things you don't understand, post a question about it on the poker theory section. you might even be able to PM sklansky and ask him about it (ive never tried). you could also post "question for sklasnky about X" on poker thoery if he doesn't accept PMs.
Old 05-23-2005, 08:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've read that book at least 5 times. This thread has inspired me to read it again. Every time I read that book I feel like it takes my game to a whole new level. No matter where you are in your poker playing career it will help you tremendously.