Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2005, 04:53 PM

Default fold to this small river bet?

the last couple of times i've raised preflop and the villain defended, he cooperated and folded on the flop.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $2 BB (6 max, 5 handed) converter

Hero ($139.7)
SB ($98)
BB ($200)
UTG ($295.01)
MP ($42.12)

Preflop: Hero is Button with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls $2, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $10</font>, SB calls $9, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP folds.

Flop: ($24) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $14</font>, SB calls $14.

Turn: ($52) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks.

River: ($52) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $15</font>, Hero ??
Old 05-23-2005, 05:31 PM

Default Re: fold to this small river bet?

I call this. He may well have gotten fed up with folding to your continuation bets and taken a stand with any pocket pair. With the odds you're getting, you can profitably call despite expecting to lose much of the time. His river bet might be a blocking bet with a pocket pair trying to avoid making a decision if you make a bigger bet representing the king. I wouldn't raise as you'll only get called if you're beat, but I definitely wouldn't fold.

This is a bit off topic, but I find 3BB + 1BB per limper preflop raises to accomplish the same thing 4BB + 1BB per limper raises do in this game (unlike lower stakes on Party, where 4 is a better baseline). My experience is primarily with the full ring games but I see a lot of the same players at the 6-max.
Old 05-23-2005, 06:59 PM

I am calling this river bet. From your raise preflop you have limited his hands down to most likely a pkt pair or premium cards. I can't see him having a 7 or 8, so calling here I think is the best line.
Old 05-23-2005, 09:09 PM

I would call this every time, you're getting 4:1. I think you're ahead way more often than that. I can't think of too many hands that villian could call with pf that contain a 7 or 8. I would call and expect to see QQ-TT most of the time, maybe even a smaller pair. JMO