Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2005, 07:33 PM

Default Going from 10max to 6max table

I´ve been playing at Party for about 5 months now.
I started out at the 2/4 table, then moved up to 3/6. Lately I´ve played 10 handed 5/10 with ok results. Problem is there is almost just 6max tables at 5/10. The 6max tables often have bigger AvgPot then the 10 handed tables, and with 5-6 poeple seeing tho flop. In my opinion they seem more profitable and juicy.

Now I want to learn how to master the 6max table

I guess lots of others have been in this situation.. What do you people think are the most important changes to do in playing style when when going from 10 to 6 max?? Should I play more starting hands, what kind of strenght do my hands need compared to 10max, what about raising and agression etc..etc??? Any good advices?

In 10 handed games I basicly just lean back and wait for the nuts, but I cant see this style do so well at 6max.
I`ve played maybe 2000 hands at 6max so far. This is ofcourse not enough to make any conclutions, but my ups- and down-swings are huge, so in guess i have alot to learn.

I`ve read that som poeple recomend to train at 1/2 6max, before moving up to 5/10. I cant rally see this beeing very usefull. I would guess its easier to push people out of the pot with a raise at the 5/10 than at 1/2,because the fish-factor is higher at 1/2 where people are chasing everything. So some of the important tactic at higer stakes doesn`t relly work at low limit. What do you then learn by playing at 1/2? Any thoughts?
Old 05-20-2005, 08:03 PM

Default Re: Going from 10max to 6max table

No, no you don't.
A lot of people get this ego problem and shove it in the way of the winning money thing.
If you're good at 10 handed O8 and winning money, rather than spend a couple of months (because it will take that long) to get fully accustomed to 6 handed, just keep playing 10 handed and winning. Jack of all trades, master of none. No matter how good you think you are at 10 handed tables, you can always be better, keep plugging away at those.
Old 05-20-2005, 09:29 PM

I see your point.
My long-term goal is to be able to play at 10/20.
Right now I feel I´m on good way to get accustomed to the 5/10 level,but I still need alot lot more experience at 5/10 before I even will think about moving up. Thats why I was thinking about the 6max,because there is always alot of games going on there. The 10 handed tables on the other hand are often empty,or just have 6-7 in it. So I figured I would be able to play alot more if I moved to 6max.
But as you said..it might be wiser just to focus on the 10 handed game,and just have patience,and play whenever I can.
Old 05-21-2005, 09:30 AM

ribbo have you played alot 6-max? I have tried it lately with some very nice results. I have used my holdem short mentality - no open limping, lots of aggression, and not being afraid to showdown nonnut hands. So far so good in a small sample size. Wondering about your experiences.

Sue
Old 05-21-2005, 11:37 AM

aman, I'm in the same spot as you, so I'm very interested in this thread. I've played a bit at the 5/10 6 max tables, and I'm trying to adjust. We might have butted heads a few times.

I don't like Ribbo's advice. Making the transition from full games to short games in hold'em made me a better poker player and also made me a lot of cash. Also, playing these games will help you with the skills you need to beat the bigger games, which are often aggressive with two or three to a flop.

The problem I have is not much is written on shorthanded Omaha/8, and a lot of what is assumes that it is a full game that has become short. I think that game plays differently than a short game on Party.

You might want to search through the archives of the Other Poker forum to read past posts about the 6 max games.
Old 05-21-2005, 09:29 PM

a couple quick tips about playing shorthanded

1) raise alot more preflop. position becomes more important shorthanded

2) high hands gain value shorthanded especially 3 or 4 handed.

3) 6handed versus 10handed isn't that different. however, 3 or 4 handed versus 6 handed is much different. you must be aggressive playing at shorthanded tabls while at full tables playing passive can actuall be the right strategy is certain situations, letting bad players bet nonnut hands.